• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nexus & IDOL

catman161

Anybody added these to their Dob? Or know if they're any good? Website makes out like they're fantastic making location of most objects a diddle all controlled from iPhone/iPad.

Any info/experiences welcomed.

Felix

Sorry Daz, just stumbled across it, trying to distract myself from hard decision I have to make about my cat Gilbert.

Link below. Looks to be pretty awesome when used with sky safari 3 pro. In fact that's where I saw the word nexus it was in a customer review on App store about sky safari 3 pro-said it had made using his Dob absolutely awesome.so I googled the word nexus and found the site. If it works as well a they say would make it great addition for us visual stargazers with Dobs and iPhones/iPads.

http://www.equatorial-platforms-uk.co.uk/idol

I have seen it used with a synscan 250px dob and it is fantastic.

Lots of object menus variable stars etc and of coarse the ipad battery lasts all night.

Thanks Andy, thought it looked pretty good on the videos. Kind of half way house between goto and manual. You move the scope whilst looking at your display until it all lines up-pretty cool I think.

Didn't think you would approve Mick. I know how you feel about any kind of assistance- I do get where you're coming from when you say goto and the like is "cheating" he he ;)

Felix I'm not against any form of assistane, my dobs have degree circles and a wixey but I just feel it's expensive when it's not that much more accurate then a DIY version. I also think everyone should try and star hop at some time, you do really get to know the sky in moore detail if you do.

I know Mick I'm just yanking ya chain hence the winking smiley ;) I meant no offence :o

I don't have any setting circle/wixey mods yet on my Dob and the feeling of elation when you use your star atlas and hop until you find that faint fuzzy is so satisfying :)

That said I am sure at some point I will put a setting circle and a wixey on my Dob. I want to put some sort of metal cross-bracket on the base at some point that I can attach levelling feet to for when I have the Dob on unlevel ground.

The gizzmo I saw was controlling the goto from an ipad.

Could you lash up your own with google sky ie. a bracket to hold your phone in line with the OTA.

I know Mick I'm just yanking ya chain hence the winking smiley ;) I meant no offence :o

I don't have any setting circle/wixey mods yet on my Dob and the feeling of elation when you use your star atlas and hop until you find that faint fuzzy is so satisfying :)

That said I am sure at some point I will put a setting circle and a wixey on my Dob. I want to put some sort of metal cross-bracket on the base at some point that I can attach levelling feet to for when I have the Dob on unlevel ground.

I used to have a cross bracket mine, you need your dob to be level for perfect accuracy.

The gizzmo I saw was controlling the goto from an ipad.

Could you lash up your own with google sky ie. a bracket to hold your phone in line with the OTA.

Hmm....not thought about that. I guess I could fashion some kind of bracket onto the side/top of the finder scope and use starwalk/sky safari or something similars search function and use the directional arrows on the display by manually pushing the scope in whatever direction it says. Might try it. Thanks for the idea andy :)

Of course it may not be in the slightest bit accurate but it tends to work in my hands fairly well. Worth a shot.

Maybe Graham could manufacture me some sort of bracket that will hold my IPhone in landscape mode onto my finder scope bracket? I'll ask him.

It can't be any worse than the Sky scout that you could mount on the scope!!!!

And the price would be right.

If it was me I would go for a Telrad.

I have been meaning to get a telrad for a while. And it will stop me being lazy and improve my star hopping skills. I am keen to see what graham can do for me though. Have PM'd him and will see what we come up with :)