• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Processing star clusters

Stu

Hi all. I've not done many open star clusters. All I've done with them is darken the background and maybe do a little star reduction if needed. Maybe push saturation up a smidge. Is there a lot more to it or are they relatively simple to process?

I use startools using the hdr module you can change the context size to a smaller value works very well at resolving clusters .

I use progressively splodgy/larger masks on the core using Range Selection in PI to try and preserve the detail there while not making it look too obvious. Sometimes re-do the mask after every small stretch. Not sure I've ever quite got it to my liking but that's what I do anyway. Then upping the saturation to pull out the usually slight colouration you tend to see by default. 

I'll give the free trial of startools a go. 

Masking is something I've not done before, I guess it can be done in Affinity. I'll search for some tutorials. 

Very minimal, cali fames, gradient reduction (Graxpert is good) stretch, noise and star reduction if needed.

Thanks. I didn't pick a great target as it was quite low and I should've done longer subs. But the few stars that were bright enough look amazing, the 269C/GT81 combo looks extremely promising 😁

• Like 1