• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cal frame library

Stu

Hi folks. Now I'm set up with a focuser with a rotator and measurements on the tube and a camera with set point cooling, I was wondering about a calibration frame library as I have to pack everything away after each session. Say I have the rotator at zero degrees and the focuser out to 46mm. As long as I line up the reducer in the focuser when attaching the camera and set the cam to the same temperature every time, can I create a library for that configuration?

Roatator makes no difference stu , take camera off cover camera up put cover over nosepiece make sure camera vents can breathe no light leaks whatsoever, take a darks library 45 of each or whatever number , also a dark flats library so if you know how long flats you take are do that too , so for my Newtonian using a duo for an Adu of 25k I use 7.5 sec for no filter other than uv filter I take about 1.5 or one third your histogram so on night only lights and flats , mind you won’t need bias if using dark flats , one or the other not both redo every 6 months  .

Edited by Bottletopburly

@Bottletopburly Thanks. I did have a go at doing some flats but wasn't having much luck, I don't think it was dark enough around me. Am I right to assume that mine would be longer, being 80mm aperture?

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Bottletopburly Thanks. I did have a go at doing some flats but wasn't having much luck, I don't think it was dark enough around me. Am I right to assume that mine would be longer, being 80mm aperture?

No it depends on your light panel intensity 

9 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

No it depends on your light panel intensity 

Ok. Some experimentation needed then, perfect weather for it 🌧️🌧️🌧️

Darks I reuse for literally months or even (shhhh!) over a year...

Flats I re-use until such time I break apart any part of the imaging train - but if I had a rotator I think I'd be doing them every session just in case of minute rotations.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Dobber said:

Darks I reuse for literally months or even (shhhh!) over a year...

😯 At least having some darks will make imagining sessions simpler. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

😯 At least having some darks will make imagining sessions simpler. 

The beauty of a cooled camera