• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Butterflies

Glafnazur

After hardly seeing any butterflies so far this year my buddleia has quite a few today. I've counted at least 8 Red Admirals, 4 large white and 1 small tortoiseshell today. I saw a couple of painted ladies at the weekend and a comma, but the one butterfly that I haven't seen so far this year is a peacock, normally they are one of the most prolific species visiting me. Has anyone else seen many of them?

• Like 2

Same here today Dave, 4 Red Admirals, 2 Comma's a Gatekeeper but no Peacocks! Did see some in May though.

I spent 15 minutes outside earlier for the Big Butterfly Count.  I didn't see a peacock but managed 18 butterflies in total over 6 species.

• Like 3

Ironically, after sitting in the garden for a while yesterday afternoon, i noticed a really large butterfly

land on the fence behind me.

It was a Peacock !! 

It was a really big one ; unfortunately i didn't get chance to grab a camera before it moved on.

Nice one Rob, still no peacocks for me, loads of Red Admirals here again today.

Finally on Sunday I saw a peacock on the buddleia 🙂, in fact there were two but they wouldn't pose for me 

Here's a few from Sunday and one from yesterday all taken using my mobile. 

Meadow Brown (I think)

20230724_175423

Peacocks

20230723_142537

20230723_142645

Small white

20230723_135115

Small tortoiseshell

20230723_134438

20230723_134440

Red admirals

20230723_134341 20230723_134334

and finally a comma

20230723_124614

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

A very tropical looking garden there Dave.....

I don't know about tropical Rob but it's certainly a jungle. I'm going to have to blitz it sometime otherwise I won't have space to set up a scope. 

Had a brimstone in the garden today

20230729_124951

and I caught this little fellow in the buddleia, there were two or three flying about, is it a young robin?

20230726_125744