• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

FAS Survey Into the Growing Problem of Satellite Megaconstellations

Magellan Boy

The Federation of Astronomical Societies (FAS) has set up a survey into the growing threat to amateur astronomy posed by the surge in the number of satellites placed in low Earth orbit (LEO). The survey will run until midnight on 22nd September 2023 after which the results will be collated and analysed and presented at the IAU Symposium 385 Astronomy and Satellite Constellations: Pathways Forward (2nd‑6th October 2023, La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain). The recommendations from that symposium will be used to advise the international bodies that make policy on the operation of satellites and the sustainable use of space (particularly LEO).

The survey is open to all and the link can be found here:

https://form.jotform.com/232251987986069

• Like 3

Thanks, i'll take a look at that Mike.

You only have to see some of the images posted on SGL to see the extent of them.

For example i'm led to believe the current number of 'Starlinks' is around 5000 +/- 😮

5 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Thanks, i'll take a look at that Mike.

You only have to see some of the images posted on SGL to see the extent of them.

For example i'm led to believe the current number of 'Starlinks' is around 5000 +/- 😮

Yeah, I am seeing quite a few cross my images. Fortunately, for now, I have been able to eliminate the trails while using PixInsight image integration, while still being able to use the lights that contain them. Its definitely getting worse though, we never had this problem much a few years ago.

• Sad 1