• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Session This Year

Nightspore

I had the seventh September session this year early this morning (01:30-04:00 BST).

hFyesHT.jpg

Jupiter was so high and bright in the eastern sky it was essentially a no-brainer as a first target. I used the Takahashi 1.25" prism for the whole session, mainly through expediency. I could see three of the Galilean moons. At about 02:16 BST Io suddenly appeared in a blaze of light (not unlike on the 10th of September last year). I could see what appeared to be like a small zit on the Jovian surface at first. Before it finally revealed itself in all its glory. Concomitantly I was also observing Saturn and split the Double Double (90 & 120x Tak' ortho's) in a low setting Summer Triangle. Eventually returning to Jupiter for the 'Grand Finale' and the theatrical appearance of Io. 

x5KGw9A.jpg

I have two Tak' prisms, only one of them is fussy with undercuts. I don't know why.

IfKFLkel.jpg

The 35mm Baader Eudiascopic has a smooth barrel however, so no hang-up problems with the Tak' twist-lock. At 10.2x, and a beautifully wide flat field, I switched my attention to the Pleiades aka 'The Seven Sisters' who all looked magnificent. After briefly getting a butcher's hook at Melotte 20 (Perseus) I decided to view the rich fields of a Cassiopeia rapidly approaching the zenith. Caroline's Rose didn't disappoint. I also swapped the Baader eyepiece for the Takahashi orthoscopics for a while, to split one of my favourites; the 'Mickey Mouse' star. Also known as i Cass inter alia.

hDDWnuE.jpg

The condensation was starting to become a problem around 03:45 and I was wondering whether to call it a night or not, when I realised I could see Orion rising.

zvDALNt.jpg

So I ended the session after viewing M42 and the Trapezium at 90 & 120x. I couldn't resist a final look at a low setting Saturn though, and a very bright Jupiter almost at transit.

8FHsPsC.jpg

Unfortunately Sirius was just too low to observe from my position. I was a tad knackered after such an early session, but it was well worth it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

Sounds like a great session 👍

Yeah, it was pretty good. Conditions were pretty clear, although the dew event horizon eventually made the reflex finder almost impossible to use. If I'd had a tent and sleeping bag I would have been tempted to get some kip and wake early for Venus! lol

As some range, dexterity and utility has returned to my right hand, arm and leg since the recent seizure (and subsequent hospitalisation) a couple of months ago, I decided to experiment with some of my ‘larger’ scopes (i.e. anything above 80mm). This fundamentally entailed setting them up inside for ‘dry runs’ so to speak. This was to ascertain any technical and/or assembly or disassembly problems. A two hour window possibility came up on the Met Office site between 20:00 and 22:00 BST Tuesday 27/9/23. It predicted cloud free skies for the duration. After some consideration (particularly about all-up weight) I decided on my modified 4” achromat. After all, I had my trolley, although sometimes I wondered if I was actually off my trolley!

qWixjPMl.jpg

I believed the Moon would be a bit low for my Synta 127mm Gregory Spot Maksutov (the ‘Big Mak’) so it was either the 80ED (which atypically has a 100mm tube) or my ST102. As the modified StarTravel is heavier than stock I also decided to seriously cut down on weight by using an exiguity of eyepieces. Three in fact: 28mm, 8.8mm, & 6.7mm Explore Scientific. OK I’ll admit to taking a tiny 4mm Ohi orthoscopic as well. I also took the SvBony Barlow element. These gave me 17.8x, 56.8x & 74.6x (6.7mm gives 119.4x with Barlow element). The Ohi gave 125x, which is just about the most I can extract from an achro’ before chromatic aberration seriously cuts in. I also had a 2” Baader stack (Fringe Killer/Neodymium) for CA, a 2" Orion UltraBlock and an ES OIII filter.

jg27Yctl.jpg

Between 20:00 & 22:00 conditions were not good, and the steadily rising 33.2 arc minute, 90.2% illuminated Moon (Aquarius) didn’t help. Albireo was discernibly split at 17.8x and I got a nice view of the Summer Triangle’s star fields. As clouds came and went I spent some time in Cassiopeia at the same magnification. Iota Cassiopeiae split nicely into its tripartite system.
I managed the Hercules Clusters at 17.8x and 56.8x. Switching back to the 'Triangle' I found the Ring Nebula relatively easily at 56.8x, especially utilising averted vision, and even split the Double Double into four stars at 119.4x (I had to concentrate though, I’m not sure if the initial difficulty in splitting the Double Double was because of the achromatic doublet’s optics or the overall weather conditions). Inevitably the clouds started to roll in with a vengeance.

8O6vUfAl.png

Oddly leaving Saturn and the Moon alone for a short while. So I got a good view of Schroter’s Valley (if slightly hazy) at 125x with the Ohi ortho’ combined with the Baader stack (in the diagonal's nose). Saturnian detail wasn’t bad and I could clearly see Titan. Not the session I was hoping for, and it was prematurely curtailed due to cloud, but it proved that I can get larger scopes out (with the trolley). Eighth session this September and this year!

fNjgkl1l.png

3 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

Another good read, I always learn something from your reports Dave and today it was - exiguity. 👍

Thanks mate. It often shows that I'm a qualified English teacher; doesn't it? lol.

Interesting reads. Thanks for posting. I’m always inspired to get out and do some observing myself after reading them.

1 hour ago, Streetbob said:

Interesting reads. Thanks for posting. I’m always inspired to get out and do some observing myself after reading them.

Thanks, the weather's a major factor this time of the year though.

On 28/09/2023 at 00:10, Nightspore said:

Thanks, the weather's a major factor this time of the year though.

Yes, weather to be or not to be ... that is the issue.

I guess the past few days not have been conducive to viewing.

24 minutes ago, Sojourneyer said:

THAT IS SOME CRACKING INTERESTING MUSIC I DARE SAY

Thunderpussy rock!

Edited by Nightspore

23 minutes ago, Sojourneyer said:

Yes, weather to be or not to be ... that is the issue.

I guess the past few days not have been conducive to viewing.

Tomorrow night looks promising, time for the 72ED I reckon.

sdbaGqFl.jpg

Edited by Nightspore

I got about 90 mins with the 72ED. A slightly clouded Saturn was the first target. At 105x and 70x I could see Titan. My tenth session this year. Unfortunately early on in the session (20:00-21:30) some plonker was letting off fireworks in the south west. OK, November the 5th is approaching, but fireworks, seriously?

2REfIb8l.jpg

later I even saw a Chinese lantern heading north, or it was a Zeta Reticulan scout ship (probably made in China anyway)?

6hC8w9ol.jpg

I switched to Cassiopeia from the Summer Triangle as there were no pyrotechnic displays in the north, conditions were not particularly good with haze and light cloud. 

nYpv3u7l.jpg

Using the 24mm Pan (17.5x) I discovered this asterism centred around 17 Cass (below).

KyyAiLCl.jpg

M13 and M92 were not so easy in the conditions, 

h1EQ6P1l.jpg

HpExmG2l.jpg

I did catch a naked eye rising Jupiter but the conditions basically defeated me. Still, ten sessions isn't bad. It's times like these ...

I, I'm a new day rising
I'm a brand new sky
To hang the stars upon tonight
I am a little divided
Do I stay or run away
And leave it all behind?
Ah-ah-ahh

lyrics: David Grohl, Christopher Shiflett, Oliver Hawkins, Nathan Mendel. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2023 at 09:01, Nightspore said:

maybe a banned name lol

It might be going that direction, don't forget this is a family forum.

45 minutes ago, BAZ said:

It might be going that direction, don't forget this is a family forum.

Sorry, forgot about the families. 

... some good wholesome entertainment for them ....