• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mirror Vs Prism for planetary?

Nightspore

I wish my eyes were good enough to be able to tell the difference......! 😀

I've tried lots of combinations of both (using premium kit it has to be said) and they all look equally good to me.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

I wish my eyes were good enough to be able to tell the difference......! 😀

I've tried lots of combinations of both (using premium kit it has to be said) and they all look equally good to me.

Yeah, I feel the same way to be honest. I have 1.25" TV Enhanced Aluminium and dielectric diagonals, and I can't see a difference. I don't honestly see any difference with premium prisms.

nRKh9Kf.jpg

I saw a bit of scatter with this 2" Baader mirror on Jupiter once, which made me think about the whole prism/mirror debate.

yYLoGvM.jpg  

• Like 1

" Baader stuff rocks! "

I'll agree with you there. I've always been a fan, and have amassed a few diagonals myself over the years !

I've always been interested in their little apo refractor. It has that 'certain something' about it (as well as the price tag......)

F3729D6D-875D-457D-ADDD-1234CD122165

I am a Baader fan too. Though as you say Rob there is a price tag on them but you do get what you pay for.

55 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

" Baader stuff rocks! "

I'll agree with you there. I've always been a fan, and have amassed a few diagonals myself over the years !

I've always been interested in their little apo refractor. It has that 'certain something' about it (as well as the price tag......)

F3729D6D-875D-457D-ADDD-1234CD122165

And me!

YSjnezH.jpg

This  apo?

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/instruments/telescopes/baader-planetarium/baader-apo-95-580-caf2-travel-companion.html

• Like 1

Yes, thats the one.

Its the same optical design that my own scope uses, and is made in Germany to very high 'Zeiss standards' allegedly.

There's not many around which is why i'm intrigued by it. 

And contrary to what says on review sites such as Roger Vine's the wait for one of these Baader scopes is 6-12 months.

I have had my name on 'the list' before on more than one occasion, but both times pulled out, mainly due to diminishing finances.

But i like telescopes, and refractors in particular, so am still interested.

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Yes, thats the one.

Its the same optical design that my own scope uses, and is made in Germany to very high 'Zeiss standards' allegedly.

There's not many around which is why i'm intrigued by it. 

And contrary to what says on review sites such as Roger Vine's the wait for one of these Baader scopes is 6-12 months.

I have had my name on 'the list' before on more than one occasion, but both times pulled out, mainly due to diminishing finances.

But i like telescopes, and refractors in particular, so am still interested.

It looks very nice. Does that focuser rotate (like a MoonLite)? I once considered one of those Diamond Steeltracks for my 80mm Evo after the MoonLite I acquired for it turned out to be borked. I asked FLO about whether the Steeltrack rotated in 'realtime' or not, but talking to FLO is about as enlightening as talking to a bucket lol. 

7tJxsll.jpg

7 hours ago, Nightspore said:

whether the Steeltrack rotated in 'realtime' or not

I have a steel track that I use on my Altair 102 but don’t use much anymore.  And no it doesn’t rotate. Perhaps if you used a small thumb screw it could but how secure it would be I don’t know. You’re welcome to have a look at it if that would help.

I agree : i don't think it does rotate. It also has the removeable tube section right next to it, and there does not appear to be any room for a rotator.

45 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

I have a steel track that I use on my Altair 102 but don’t use much anymore.  And no it doesn’t rotate. Perhaps if you used a small thumb screw it could but how secure it would be I don’t know. You’re welcome to have a look at it if that would help.

Thanks for the info.

RraLoHo.jpg

I originally bought the Long Perng to replace the GSO on my ST102. Rotating a 2" diagonal with only one arm (my right arm is paralysed) can be precarious, so a rotating focuser makes life easier.

48 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I agree : i don't think it does rotate. It also has the removeable tube section right next to it, and there does not appear to be any room for a rotator.

Unfortunately the MoonLite I put on the Evostar was borked.

U7wqjpm.jpg

The LP is good but can hang slightly when uncoupled for rotation.

2IXeLkV.jpg

It fits the Evostar like a glove though,

qZ9J9Ix.jpg

unlike the second MoonLite!

mYpE7Pf.jpg

No wonder they went bust.

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 1