• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

SteveCdmn

Hello Everybody - I'm Steve - just joined the forum and taken out the Dark Site membership.  

Looks like there _might_ be a break in the clouds tonight so I thought I might pop down to the Wymeswold site to see what it's like.  I know that mid-week I'm supposed to let the moderators know if I'm doing this, but wasn't sure how?  

Was only thinking of going briefly (work next day) so no need to access any facilities and will only head down if the weather forecast stays OK.  

Steve

Hi Steve, a warm welcome to the gang.

I hope it works out and you get a couple of hours tonight.

Have a mooch round and make yourself at home.

Welcome aboard Steve, you are welcome to use the site as you wish. The building is closed at present but the grounds are as per the info on the darksite info. Belper is shut at present but we'll keep everyone updates as we find out. If you want company just start a thread in the meet section and I'm sure someone  will pop along.

Hi Steve. Welcome to EMS

Be aware there may be scouts / cubs / guides / brownie's (I bet they aren't that any more !) on so it may

be busy in the carpark area. The scout hall and cricket club are next to each other.

Unless there is cricket practise on the bit where we observe in front of the scoreboard should be clear and quiet.

Do you have a scope ??  We usually meet up there on a ad-hoc basis when the weather is looking ok, but its usually only 2 or 3 of us.

I can't make it tonight, as i'm on the graveyard shift at work till Friday, but am free next weekend.

Let us know what you think of the site : its generally 'Bortle 5' on a good clear night

Edited by Bino-viewer

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I got to the site later than intended and managed the briefest of sessions before it clouded over and I decided that, given I had work the next day I'd better get home again.  Nice site though.

I'm a beginner essentially. I did a little bit of stargazing about 20 years ago and then a move to London put a stop to it. Now back in Leicester & trying to have another go. I've picked up a little 80mm Startravel refractor to start with and will also get something a bit bigger in due course.

At the moment I'm remembering that between when it's cloudy, when the moon is out, and when you're busy with something else it can be quite difficult finding the time!!

Steve.

The ST80 is a great scope to start with.

tlHnX8Y.jpg

I added customised focusers to mine.

pBLzVP4.jpg

With the TS Optics (GSO) aftermarket focuser added 2" accessories can be used.

245gkrO.jpg

o7LuPfR.jpg

Mine originally came with an EQ1.

PZu7HeT.jpg

I eventually went with a SW AZ5, which was originally bundled with my 127mm SW Mak.

G0KQtrW.jpg

The ST80's are great for wide field, but can do lunar/planetary.

Clifktd.jpg

Orion ST80 set up for observing a setting Jupiter.

FDgiBSO.jpg

Achromats, like the ST80 can suffer from a bit of chromatic aberration (false colour). A light yellow #8 filter can ameliorate this somewhat, often if it's stacked with an LP filter (yellow in front). I had years of fun with my ST80's, they still get out occasionally. 

Edited by Nightspore

Good that you got a bit of clear sky Steve. Once this Autumnal turbulance settles, maybe we'll get some good clear nights, chances are they will all be during the working week though.

Glad you like the Wymeswold site. I use it a lot myself. Keep an eye out on the Dark Site thread hopefully we’ll get to meet up.