• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Foxy Addition to the Refractor Family

Glafnazur

Nice one Dave, are there any other refractors in your stable....??

The photo makes it look bigger than 80mm aperture. I've always like Vixen stuff as well.

Edited by Bino-viewer

I've got a few Rob but I've been hankering after a vixen scope for while. Maybe a Tak when I retire?

WO Zenithstar 61

Skywatcher ST80

Skywatcher evostar 90

Esprit 100ED triplet

Skywatcher evostar 150

10 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

I've got a few Rob but I've been hankering after a vixen scope for while. Maybe a Tak when I retire?

WO Zenithstar 61

Skywatcher ST80

Skywatcher evostar 90

Esprit 100ED triplet

Skywatcher evostar 150

To cure your 'Tak-itis' Dave, before it starts to take hold ?? 😀

I prescribe an FC 100

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

To cure your 'Tak-itis' Dave, before it starts to take hold ?? 😀

I prescribe an FC 100

Looks nice, mind you I like your TEC scope, any idea of the waiting time on these?

Currently 18 months to 2 years believe it or not, although it may actually be a bit less than that.

Had it been now, i probably would not have bought it at its current cost.

They have gone up about 30% since i got mine in 2018. 

I couldn't justify that now. 

8 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

Wow 30% that's a big increase. Mind you it is a beautiful scope.

Thankyou. Its officially my 'retirement scope'.

And probably too good for someone like me with deteriorating eyesight and Bortle 7 skys.

But hopefully an investment ; it may even be worth more than i paid for it.

I'm impressed you have a stable of 6 refractors. That may be even more than @Nightspore

I myself 'downsized' my scope collection from 6 in early 2018 down to just 2 and then just the one a year later.

4 of those helped raise funds to be able to afford the TEC.

So i've just had the one scope for getting on for 5 years now.

Yet even at 56 i still have that desire to try out a new scope, and get something to compliment, and accompany the TEC (even though i can't afford anything)

I don't think that wanting will ever go away. I just like telescopes i guess..... 😀

20 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Thankyou. Its officially my 'retirement scope'.

And probably too good for someone like me with deteriorating eyesight and Bortle 7 skys.

But hopefully an investment ; it may even be worth more than i paid for it.

I'm impressed you have a stable of 6 refractors. That may be even more than @Nightspore

I myself 'downsized' my scope collection from 6 in early 2018 down to just 2 and then just the one a year later.

4 of those helped raise funds to be able to afford the TEC.

So i've just had the one scope for getting on for 5 years now.

Yet even at 56 i still have that desire to try out a new scope, and get something to compliment, and accompany the TEC (even though i can't afford anything)

I don't think that wanting will ever go away. I just like telescopes i guess..... 😀

I know what you mean about eyesight Rob. I looked at some distant trees through the vixen and I noticed loads of floaters.

I bought the WO Zenithstar 61 and Esprit 100ED triplet mainly for imaging but I do use both for visual too. The Skywatcher ST80 was bought as a guidescope but yet to try guiding. The Skywatcher evostar 90 was bought as grab and go for doubles and the evostar 150 was purely because I wanted a big refractor 😄. I do use them all but my go to scope is probably the esprit 100, the views are stunning.

I've also still got my first 'proper' scope, an Orion optics Europa 200 which I haven't used for ages but I've been thinking about checking it out and maybe getting the mirror recoated. And I've got a Bresser 127 mak purely for lunar and planetary. 

I should downsize but I have my dad's hoarder gene which prevents this 🤣

• Like 1

@Glafnazur I've been eyeing up a few 2nd hand maks, are they a good bet for reasonably priced lunar/planetary views? I'm starting to really miss observing because my scope is imaging if the skies are clear.

I managed to get hold of a second hand Bresser 127 mak for lunar/planetary and the views are great. I had trouble getting used to using the focuser knob but I've got it pretty much sussed now and I can use my WO binoviewer with it although I've only used it once so far. Cool down time isn't too bad, I generally leave it outside for a while before setting up.

Whenever I image I always take either some binoculars out with me or set up a small scope.

• Like 2