• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pinwheel Galaxy (M33)

Astronomer, Reinvented

Phil : correct me if i'm wrong..... The 'Pinwheel' galaxy is aka M101 which is in Ursa Major (I was looking at it the other night)

I believe M33 is simply known as the 'Triangulum galaxy'

HTH

• Like 1

Actually M33 is originally the pinwheel galaxy, but over time this seems to of shifted to  M101.

I think pinwheel used to be used as a description rather than a name. There were a few others if I remember correctly as well. M99, M33 M101 northern pinwheel and there is a southern pinwheel as well if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I have also seen M101 called the Pinwheel, too. Maybe these names are not official.

I bow down to your greater knowledge Andy......🫡

I have only Sky Safari and a DSC to tell me what i'm looking at.

A web search for the 'pinwheel galaxy' certainly comes up with M101 as the current contender but no such term is used for M101 in my 1978 copy of Burnhams Celestial Handbook, but it is used for M33!  I would look through some of my other old Astro books but they are in the loft!  May be it's a US / UK naming variation or just a time variation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

I bow down to your greater knowledge Andy......🫡

I have only Sky Safari and a DSC to tell me what i'm looking at.

Don't know if its greater Rob, just random stuff sticks in my head, unfortunately nothing useful!!!

• Haha 1