• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Coming in from the cold

Stu

Best practice for bringing in a refractor and imaging gear from the freezing outdoors? With my newt I left it in the conservatory pointing nose down with the cap off. Being a sealed setup it's a bit different I suppose?

• Like 1

I don't know if it is the correct way to do it but nowadays I lay mine flat overnight with caps off and cover it with a sheet to stop any dust or bugs getting in.

My normal routine is to have the scopes case open outside (unless its really dewey and i'll just keep the lid ajar)

and put the cold scope in the cold case, and drive home. When i get home i'll pop the catches on the case and

leave it usually overnight so the cold inner case and warm air outside gradually acclimatise, and then check the scope

the next morning. 

I also have a load of silica gel sachets (the big ones) inside the case to help absorb any moisture.

I used to be more concerned when i had air spaced triplets, and that moisture would form in between the optical elements

and get mould ingress etc. Now i no longer have that issue with my current scope.

Also, as it has a Fluorite element in its optical design, i'm always careful not to 'shock it' with big temperature variations

ie bringing in a cold, iced up scope into a 20º house and vice versa. So i tend to use the case again and let it cool gradually

certainly in winter. The Fluorite element is protected though : its effectively 'sandwiched' in between its mating elements, which 

gives it some added protection, although you can't get complacent. But i am getting old ; i don't observe that often now on those bitter cold sub zero winter nights !!

Cool, thanks. They're along the lines of what I've been doing so I'll stick with it. I store it level in the conservatory and leave the imaging train attached then take it all to bits the following day when it's up to ambient temperature. I'll invest in a load more silica packs. 

• 3 months later...
On 04/10/2023 at 16:20, Glafnazur said:

I don't know if it is the correct way to do it but nowadays I lay mine flat overnight with caps off and cover it with a sheet to stop any dust or bugs getting in.

Same as that. I have a morbid fear of fungus on objectives. I have been known to have the dehumidifier on in the same room too.

@Caldwell 14 That's what I've gone with now. I have a desiccant cap in the focuser and a sachet strapped to the inside of the lens cap when it's not in use.

I cant fit one in my case unfortunately and don’t have the option of taping a sachet on the inside of my dew shield either, not without it touching the objective lens. I am paranoid enough as it is without worrying about scratching anything, especially that! 

Edited by Caldwell 14

1 hour ago, Stu said:

when it's not in use.

@Caldwell 14 * only when it's in the tube rings so it can't get near the lens. There would be a lot of tears if I scratched it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stu said:

@Caldwell 14 * only when it's in the tube rings so it can't get near the lens. There would be a lot of tears if I scratched it

Same as that 

• 1 month later...

I’m new to the forum and acquiring new equipment for the future. I was wondering about this. Bringing in cold equipment when I have finished star gazing, and as our garage is my workshop and storage space I thought of placing everything in there overnight. One thing I did notice is should the ‘scope be stored horizontal or vertical minus the end cap? 

Edited by Diko

4 hours ago, Diko said:

I’m new to the forum and acquiring new equipment for the future. I was wondering about this. Bringing in cold equipment when I have finished star gazing, and as our garage is my workshop and storage space I thought of placing everything in there overnight. One thing I did notice is should the ‘scope be stored horizontal or vertical minus the end cap? 

Hi. When I had a Newtonian reflector I left it on the mount angled downwards to prevent any moisture running down onto the mirror. With my refractor I store it horizontally with the cap off while it's getting to ambient temperature and a desiccant cap in the focuser end. 

Flourites arent as delicate these days as they used to be when they were grown from crystals. Modern manufacturing methods have come a long way since the 1890s.

Ive had doublet, triplets and achros so long as there is toletence in the cell there should be no problem.

WO doublets were i famous for temperature related astigmatism due to things being too tight but theyve kearnt their lesson now.