• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Paraskevidekatriaphobia ... No Way!

Nightspore

I’ve never really been particularly paraskevidekatriaphobic, so when I discovered there was a chance of some clear skies I was definitely up for it on Friday the 13th. Although I was a bit fatigued so decided on the lovely little Titchy Sixty, as it is lightweight … and titchy. Although, of late, I’ve kind of ditched it for my 72ED Evostar. 

roEnYOcl.jpg

I was set-up by about 21:00. My first target was Saturn. The 4mm Takahashi Abbe orthoscopic gave a decent 90x. I could see some surface detail and even Titan. Conditions were quite good considering it had rained all day. My next target was the very nice white double of Zeta 1 Aquarii situated at the top of the Water Bearer’s ‘jar/urn’.

sFu5Xaxl.png

Interestingly this double of 28.2 parsecs distant (I observed them as they would have looked in 1931) virtually now rides the Celestial Equator.

qNDDj2wl.png

I observed this and i Cass at 144x with a Barlow element threaded into the 4mm Tak’. 

DgLyedil.jpg

At 90x I could just see Europa transiting Jupiter’s surface, plus a ‘strung out’ Io, Ganymede and Callisto.

CV8LKWrl.png

Caroline’s Rose (Cassiopeia) and the Double Cluster (Perseus) looked great at 10.1x with the Baader Eudiascopic, although the Double Cluster was spellbinding at 18.9x with the 19mm Panoptic. The Alpha Persei Cluster was equally intriguing with the Panoptic, even with the small aperture of the ‘Titchy’ I really felt ‘up close and in there’ with the 19mm Tele Vue compared to the more aloof view of the Baader.

JOLsNDel.png

All in all, although my Friday session was inevitably cut short by clouds, I rekindled my love for the Titchy Sixty.

• Like 4

You really did have a great Friday the 13th! It's overcast right now in my neck of the woods. I'm praying that it clears in time for the eclipse; I'll only get 50% but that's ok. I saw the total eclipse in 2017 and plan to see another total next spring.

Cheers!

Reggie

6 hours ago, The Fellas on Google Plus said:

You really did have a great Friday the 13th! It's overcast right now in my neck of the woods. I'm praying that it clears in time for the eclipse; I'll only get 50% but that's ok. I saw the total eclipse in 2017 and plan to see another total next spring.

Cheers!

Reggie

It wasn't a bad 13th, although to be honest, my Friday the 13th's are always a bit lucky. Probably as I'm actually an Aquarius, and we're all a bit weird. I just wish I was a bit luckier with the clouds. Have fun with the eclipse. I hope the weather's good for you. Oddly, even partial eclipses fool birds into roosting early. I've actually witnessed this. Birds can navigate by the stars, but just can't download Stellarium I guess lol.

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:

Nice report. Sounds as though you had a good, if short, session.

Thanks. The session was probably around 90 mins, mostly clear, but when the white fluffy stuff started to appear I knew it was game over.

Nice report, I was tempted last night but my back garden is a bit of a quagmire. If it is clear tonight maybe I'll set up on the front drive and use the new vixen, fortunately whilst my magnolia is in full foliage it blocks off one the two streetlights I'll have to contend with. I don't think I've seen  Zeta 1 Aquarii so I'll have a go at that.

2 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

Nice report, I was tempted last night but my back garden is a bit of a quagmire. If it is clear tonight maybe I'll set up on the front drive and use the new vixen, fortunately whilst my magnolia is in full foliage it blocks off one the two streetlights I'll have to contend with. I don't think I've seen  Zeta 1 Aquarii so I'll have a go at that.

Thanks. 

2NguZfD.jpg

It has other names (Zet01 Aqr, Sadaltager, HIP 110960, 150 G. Aquarii, 55 Aquarii B, 55 Aqr B, BD -00 4365B, Zet Aqr). You'll need around 80-100x to split it agreeably, depending on aperture size and conditions. It is usually easily seen with the naked eye.