• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tonights Lunar Eclipse

Bino-viewer

I reckon if it is clear then I'll have to take a walk because by my reckoning the moon will behind one of the trees on the green opposite my house, probably the oak which still has virtually all of its leaves.

4 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Fellow stargazers,

In case you we not aware we have a small partial lunar eclipse happening this evening, at a nice social time.

So, if there is a small window in the weather, there is a good chance you will see it, finger's crossed 🤞🏼

Times are :

First umbral contact : 20:36 hrs

Max eclipse : 21:14 hrs   (its only a grazing sort of eclipse : only about 6% of the moon will be in shadow, but still well worth a look)

Final umbral contact with the eclipse ending at 21:52 hrs

All timings are BST, its the last day before the clocks go back an hour at 02:00 hrs tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

I hope i've got those timings correct ; please correct me if they are wrong.

Hopefully one of us can grab an image of it, so please post your results ! 🙂

Thanks for the heads up!!

Edit: though you've made me think of this now: 

Edited by Bob Dobber
  • Haha 2

It's raining here, I can't even see the sky. I have some Jaffa doughnuts aka Jonuts.

7lfpFAzl.jpg

Do these count?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

ooh I've not seen those, must put them on my next shopping list 🙂 

They're a bit addictive. Basically the love child of two of the best things in the world: doughnuts and Jaffa cakes!

I gotta a feeling I'll be eating Jonuts while missing the eclipse tonight.

• Haha 2

Eclipse report :

☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

☁️🔭🌧️🌧️

🌧️🌧️

🌧️☁️☁️🫤

Right at the end of the eclipse, with perfect timing, the clouds started to break up a little, and i eventually spotted the Lunar disc a few times.

I did detect some darkening around the limb of the moon though, but by then the eclipse was officially over. Nothing worth photographing unfortunately.

Did anyone else do any better ??

Not that long to wait till the next one anyway : September 18, 2024. Similar to this one, a small partial eclipse , but at about 03:15 in the morning.

Better luck next time hopefully 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Eclipse report :

☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

☁️🔭🌧️🌧️

🌧️🌧️

🌧️☁️☁️🫤

Right at the end of the eclipse, with perfect timing, the clouds started to break up a little, and i eventually spotted the Lunar disc a few times.

I did detect some darkening around the limb of the moon though, but by then the eclipse was officially over. Nothing worth photographing unfortunately.

Did anyone else do any better ??

Not that long to wait till the next one anyway : September 18, 2024. Similar to this one, a small partial eclipse , but at about 03:15 in the morning.

Better luck next time hopefully 😀

At least you caught something, well done. I saw nada, ended up streaming 'Up in Smoke' on YouTube. I haven't seen it for years, it's still hilarious, man. lol

If I remember rightly that's Cheech and Chong, isn't it? Must be around 40 years since I watched that, I can't remember any details about the film other than the fact it had us all in stitches. 

On 29/10/2023 at 09:27, Glafnazur said:

If I remember rightly that's Cheech and Chong, isn't it? Must be around 40 years since I watched that, I can't remember any details about the film other than the fact it had us all in stitches. 

I think it's still banned on UK terrestrial TV.

AFAIK it's only been shown once on TV, when Channel 4 showed it on its 'Banned Season Films' sometime in the early 90's, when I was at university. Far out ... man ....

Me and my mates watched it on video along with another of their films. I can't remember which one though, the 80s are all a bit of blur to me, the result of a misspent youth 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2023 at 17:54, Nightspore said:

It's raining here, I can't even see the sky. I have some Jaffa doughnuts aka Jonuts.

7lfpFAzl.jpg

Do these count?

@Nightspore I nearly bought some of these today but got these instead

20231111_122525

3 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

@Nightspore I nearly bought some of these today but got these instead

20231111_122525

I haven't seen those .... I may have to try some, they hardly look toxic. lol