• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 Pro vs EQ6R-Pro for first GEM AP mount

Tangerinedream

Hi all,

Very new to AP, and an currently using a Skywatcher Alt Az GOTO mount with Mak127 prime focus EOS 7D.

I'm want to upgrade to a GEM mount for longer exposures. Want to get a mount first then upgrade the scope afterwards when funds allow.

I'm torn between HEQ5 and EQ6-R. Looking at lightly used secondhand to save a bit of cash. Would I be wasting money if I went for the lighter mount and decided I wanted to mount a 8inch Newt for AP down the road?

I'm just worried the EQ6-R might be too much of a chore to build and strip down after each imaging session as I have limited space to store the astrogear (spare bedroom).

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this thanks!

17 minutes ago, RonC said:

Just to say, I used a HEQ5 with a SW MN190+ DSLR for a few years without a problem...

Wow, really? I always feel like the NEQ6 is being put under strain with the MN190 atop it, so can't imagine the HEQ5 is under-loaded....

I think the general idea is to get the heftiest mount you can afford, but if you are having to break down and bring in every time, that might quickly become tiresome.  

24 minutes ago, Bob Dobber said:

Wow, really? I always feel like the NEQ6 is being put under strain with the MN190 atop it, so can't imagine the HEQ5 is under-loaded....

I think the general idea is to get the heftiest mount you can afford, but if you are having to break down and bring in every time, that might quickly become tiresome.  

Agreed, I had the mount before the scope! I now use a NEQ6 with my 150PDS..

Whilst the 5 will serve you well I would still go for the 6.

The 6 has better cable connectors, better electronics, better pay load for future scopes, bigger and better cameras ect

In fact if your budget allows for it the 6 is better all round and will serve you for many years to come.

With regards the stripping down each session then it is going to be a pain but it will live under a cover quiet happily in your garden if you can leave it there safely.

Am I right in thinking that while the NEQ6 is not belt driven out of the box, the EQ6-R Pro is belt driven when bought? Having never used a non-belt driven mount, I don't know how much different it is in operation, but the belt modded NEQ6s I have experience of have been very agreeable in terms of their guiding etc. Another thing to consider I guess, if it's a NEQ6 that's not been belt modded, will you want to get that conversion "done" (either by yourself or a shop that does it) at a later date...?

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Whilst the 5 will serve you well I would still go for the 6.

The 6 has better cable connectors, better electronics, better pay load for future scopes, bigger and better cameras ect

In fact if your budget allows for it the 6 is better all round and will serve you for many years to come.

With regards the stripping down each session then it is going to be a pain but it will live under a cover quiet happily in your garden if you can leave it there safely.

Would it be okay to keep a mount build up under a cover in a shed for extended periods?

Thanks for the advice everyone, seems I'll be learning towards saving for a EQ6R-Pro 🙂

Im guessing around £1K is the going rate for a good condition used EQ6R-PRO?

13 hours ago, Tangerinedream said:

Would it be okay to keep a mount build up under a cover in a shed for extended periods?

It will be absolutely fine.

I have had my mounts sitting in my obs ( which is nothing but a large shed with a roll off roof ) for years and years.

• Like 1

When checking over a used mount for sale, is there anything in particular I should check over other than motor operation and movement of the axis? 

Just don't want to end up buying a lemon! 

Thanks again.

Check for excessive backlash in the axis.

Slew the mount on its fastest speed through a full 360 degrees on both axis to make sure it does not bind up at any point. ( do this on a bare mount only )

Neither of these issues are a serious problem and can be sorted.

Check the plug sockets for any sign of blackening due to shorts.

Check the altitude bolts to make sure the threads are ok -- again not a problem to fix if you have the means.

There is nothing that cannot be sorted out on these  mounts but it will effect the selling price. 

Edited by Graham

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Check for excessive backlash in the axis.

Slew the mount on its fastest speed through a full 360 degrees on both axis to make sure it does not bind up at any point. ( do this on a bare mount only )

Neither of these issues are a serious problem and can be sorted.

Check the plug sockets for any sign of blackening due to shorts.

Check the altitude bolts to make sure the threads are ok -- again not a problem to fix if you have the means.

There is nothing that cannot be sorted out on these  mounts but it will effect the selling price. 

Thanks Graham. I'd at least be able sort out thread issues, I have a tap and die set haha.

I'd assume there should be next to no backlash on a EQ6R as it would have belts instead of pinions for the drivetrain?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the proud owner of a used EQ6-R Pro.

If the coming nights are clear, I'm going to practice polar alignment as I've never used a GEM before.

• Like 2

I've got an EQ6- R Pro, it is a great mount a tad heavy but it has worked well for me.

Tangerine Dream have always been one of my favourite bands, I manged to get to see them in Derby, I think it was 1982.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tangerinedream said:

Finally the proud owner of a used EQ6-R Pro.

If the coming nights are clear, I'm going to practice polar alignment as I've never used a GEM before.

Excellent choice.

That will give you years and years of good service. 

• Like 1

Cool! After using my polar scope to get in the right area I use sharcap pro to fine tune polar alignment, pretty quick and simple to use. 

• Like 2