• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Vixen LVW revisited

Bino-viewer

Love the case Rob, it does wonders for my OCD. 

2CAQ8Q4l.jpg

Panoptics rock! The excellent eye positioning is also a factor in their popularity IMO. 

Yes, they take some beating. I love doing low power sweeps with my 2x24s in the bino which gives me around 40x mag.

Thinking about it, if i could only own 3 eyepieces, one would be the 24 Pan, the second would be the UWA 12.5mm

The jury is still out on the third, but the 5mm Vixen LVW would be a contender.

I was also pondering to myself about the 3.5mm that i picked up from the chap near Leicester, that it could actually be the

vary same eyepiece i purchased 15 years or so ago......Maybe its moved about from owner to owner a few times, and its come home again.

Could it be the same one ? Maybe, but i'll never know for sure......

13 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Yes, they take some beating. I love doing low power sweeps with my 2x24s in the bino which gives me around 40x mag.

Thinking about it, if i could only own 3 eyepieces, one would be the 24 Pan, the second would be the UWA 12.5mm

The jury is still out on the third, but the 5mm Vixen LVW would be a contender.

Yeah, the 24mm Pan' would be one of the three, as for the other two, I'd be tempted to claim the Nagler zoom and the BHZ.

IgDTuGWl.jpg

7kl9Taul.jpg

If that isn't cheating lol.

Oh, I totally forgot I had the 27mm.

Sn0RYe3l.jpg

Must be the brain damage lol.

Edited by Nightspore
Brain damage

12 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

Well done on managing to complete the set Rob 👍

Completing sets can be satisfying ... but pricey!

ZaBAHrSl.jpg

v47rqv1l.jpg

JLPvqxXl.jpg

a51A5enl.jpg

Wans1QZl.jpg

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

You are without a doubt the king of the eyepiece collectors 👑

No doubt....he puts us all to shame !!

23 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Completing sets can be satisfying ... but pricey!

I knew you into eyepieces but didn’t realise you had so many.  Have you ever dared tot up how much you spent?

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2023 at 09:01, Streetbob said:

I knew you into eyepieces but didn’t realise you had so many.  Have you ever dared tot up how much you spent?

I shudder to think what I've spent. You haven't seen half of my EP's!

I do genuinely regret buying some:

AYmEjZe.jpg

These 'Starbase Orthoscopic Plossls' particularly. I tend to call them 'Starbucks Orthodontic Pebbles' as they're: (a) overpriced, (b) a smack in the mouth, and (c) need to be buried. They get praised because they're made in Japan, as opposed to somewhere more capable, like the PRC (who actually have standards). You name the defect and these have them. I wouldn't mind if they were a fiver apiece. 'Starbase' try to use the Takahashi name to sell these overpriced baubles. They don't even make good Xmas/Yule/Solstice decorations! Takahashi aren't doing their reputation any good by being associated with these (insert derogatory expletives of your choice).

Gj1YqG1.jpg

You'd be much better off with a set of Chinese manufactured Meade Plossls.

Edited by Nightspore
Cofveve

Wow, how many of them do actually you use?  In my whole astronomical lifetime since my first scope I've had the grand total of just 6 eyepieces, a Charles Frank 1" Ramsdem with the RAS thread for used my 4" Newt and a set of 5 Clavé Plossls for use with my 10" Newt, and I tended to use only 3 of those with any regularity!

14 hours ago, Clive said:

Wow, how many of them do actually you use?  In my whole astronomical lifetime since my first scope I've had the grand total of just 6 eyepieces, a Charles Frank 1" Ramsdem with the RAS thread for used my 4" Newt and a set of 5 Clavé Plossls for use with my 10" Newt, and I tended to use only 3 of those with any regularity!

What Clavè do you have Clive?

I have the 25, 16 side marked 10, 6, and 4mm and the negative (barlow), never used but had to have it. Really nice to look through although I tend to keep them for my little zeiss.

2020-06-06_06-58-04

2 hours ago, tuckstar said:

... I have the 25, 16 side marked 10, 6, and 4mm ...

I had the exact same set!  I've no longer have them, I sold them in 2012 when I gave away my telescope and mount and demolished the observatory.

large.clave.jpg.e5b5b1fc6208c8673208683cb938109c.jpg

20 hours ago, Clive said:

I have phases (like the Moon) lol. I have a few different telescopes, many are small grab'n'go scopes (due to physical disability). I tend to keep them in bags with all their respective equipment. So, if it's looking good outside, at a moment's notice, I can literally choose a complete rig, grab it and go. I have some rigs for widefield sessions where I'm concentrating on rich field observing only (predominantly fast achromats). Some are mainly for lunar/planetary (Mak's). Two scopes at least are multi purpose (apochromatic doublets of 60mm & 72mm). I have larger scopes that can take longer to prepare and set-up, they need their own EP's. I have several scopes ranging between 60mm and 235mm. Although I'm a great fan of wide angle eyepieces, like my Naglers and Panoptics, I also use smaller EP's for lunar/planetary. One of my rarer is this 9mm Circle T:

wHJyakcl.jpg

Not forgetting this 'Antares Plossl' almost certainly built by Ohi, and possibly a Masuyama design with five elements. It has outstanding contrast, although I think the field is less than 50°.

h7MGMlEl.jpg

I actually haven't purchased an EP for over a year. I'm guessing insanity has finally kicked in. Or I'm cured!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clive said:

I had the exact same set!  I've no longer have them, I sold them in 2012 when I gave away my telescope and mount and demolished the observatory.

large.clave.jpg.e5b5b1fc6208c8673208683cb938109c.jpg

Thats a shame, do you miss them? I picked mine up via my society and the previous owner had put them together to be used with a Barlow to fill the gaps, ie 25 -12 16-8 etc. Thats why when  I saw the "negatif" I had to get it, paid to much in the end due to tax because it came from America. But it kind of completes the set. Of course its nothing compared to Doc's Clavè collection and scope.