• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Daytime Lunar occultation of Venus : Thursday 9 Nov

Bino-viewer

Well, with perfect timing, the moon popped into view 5 min after Venus disappeared, stayed in a clearish area for a good while,

then went back behind the clouds again just before it was due to reappear ! Who'd have thought that could happen ? 😬

This is UK astronomy for you.......

BUT........literally 3 or 4 mins after reappearing the fast moving clouds cleared again revealing a beautiful conjunction between

a thin waning crescent moon and a startlingly bright  - 4.3mag Venus showing a phase of 58% quite clearly.

This kind of made up for the disappointment of missing both parts of the main event. 

Venus looked spectacular through through my 20 year old 15x50 stabilised Canon binocs, and i watched the pairing for the next

10 mins or so before it clouded over again. Even my other half was impressed with the view !

So, all in all, not a bad ending, and thats the second planetary occultation by the moon in less than a year following the Mars event last December.

One to remember 😀

• Like 2