• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wizard in Bicolor

Derbyshire Dave

Really stands out against space there Dave. Looking at the shape, maybe it should be called the Slug Nebula?

• Like 1

A great image and 'natural' colours but I'm a little confused (not difficult 😊). If Ha -> green and O3 -> green + blue where did the red come from?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

A great image and 'natural' colours but I'm a little confused (not difficult 😊). If Ha -> green and O3 -> green + blue where did the red come from?

Clive, I'm an idiot, sorry. Ha allocated to the red channel, Oiii to blue and green. Hydrogen is the most abundant element, which is why the image appears mainly red.

I'm waiting to get some Sii. Once I get that, I will allocate according to the Hubble Palette. When you do that, the most abundant hydrogen gets allocated to green, Oiii to blue and Sii to red. This is the way that NASA tries to stretch out the relatively small difference in wavelengths to produce very colourful images. That is why it is known as false colour....mind you everyone should get similar results.