• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New setup

Adam Firth

I've recently acquired a new setup from my wife's uncle who died and his wife was having a clearout ready to move house so I generously offered to take it off her hands.

It's a 5" skywatcher maksutov which I've managed to use a couple of times just to test it out and it seems razor sharp and gives great images of the planets and smaller objects like the ring and m13. 

It also came with a skywatcher go-to alt az mount which I didn't get a controller for so had to wait to get a wi-fi dongle to use it. I set it up last night (inside due to the rain) and it all seems to be working well. The mount is around 5 yrs old so is somewhat outdated by now but hey, if it works it works.

I also got an eyepiece case with a set of plossls in (I'm not going to use them as I already have better EPs), a skywatcher power tank( a power tank was on my to get list anyway so that's a win in itself) and some associated astronomical paraphernalia like a red torch, various adaptors etc.

Looks like my 8" dob won't be the only scope I get out any more.

• Like 4

If you like the mon and planets then you'll enjoy that scope. I've got the Bresser 5" mak and it is brilliant for lunar and planets. 

Nice one Adam, I have always fancied one of those. Let us know how you get on with it. Don't forget to let it have a good cool down to get the best from it.

Sounds good... 

Photos please........? (we like a photo, especially when its new astro gear 🙂)

On 15/11/2023 at 20:56, Glafnazur said:

If you like the mon and planets then you'll enjoy that scope. I've got the Bresser 5" mak and it is brilliant for lunar and planets. 

Haven't had a chance to use it on the moon yet. Fingers crossed for tonight.

17 hours ago, BAZ said:

Nice one Adam, I have always fancied one of those. Let us know how you get on with it. Don't forget to let it have a good cool down to get the best from it.

Yeah, I've heard that about most cats. I put it in the conservatory for an hour before hand, then another half hour outside to make sure.

16 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Sounds good... 

Photos please........? (we like a photo, especially when its new astro gear 🙂)

If I knew how to I would. I can't seem to figure it out despite the fact I managed last year.