• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Observing at sherwood observatory

Adam Firth

I often drive past Sherwood observatory on the way to one of my sites at work, just over the railway lines on Coxmoor Road. Is the dob reasonably portable for taking out observing?

On 28/11/2023 at 19:14, Derbyshire Dave said:

Sounds like you had a good session Adam, thanks for sharing..

Thanks, it wasn't too bad. Just a shame I had to cut it short

On 29/11/2023 at 00:13, Stu said:

I often drive past Sherwood observatory on the way to one of my sites at work, just over the railway lines on Coxmoor Road. Is the dob reasonably portable for taking out observing?

I suppose it depends on your definition of portable. I manage to fit it in my Ford Ka but with no space for passengers.

1 hour ago, Adam Firth said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of portable. I manage to fit it in my Ford Ka but with no space for passengers.

I suppose practical would've been a better choice of words. Just getting it around and setting it up if you take it to a site. I'm in the glass back club so didn't really consider one when looking for a visual scope. 

On 01/12/2023 at 19:06, Stu said:

I suppose practical would've been a better choice of words. Just getting it around and setting it up if you take it to a site. I'm in the glass back club so didn't really consider one when looking for a visual scope. 

The base of mine has a handle which makes it easy to carry as that's most of the weight of the scope. The OTA itself is a lot lighter than you would expect. Definitely a 2 trip job though. I will say that I'm in my 20s and do a manual job though so I'm quite used to carrying a bit of weight around. In terms of setup, it takes probably 5 mins (including collimation), the only issue could be scope cool down but I'd the car is kept a bit cooler it may help of course