• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Winter Albireo (145 CMa)Yet Anyone?

Nightspore

uW2aBik.jpg

Has anyone seen or photographed the 'Winter Albireo' so far this year yet. I once found this by accident originally while scanning in Canis (with a Mak!). I always referred to it as the 'Winter Albireo'. Until I discovered that it had already been discovered and was actually called the 'Winter Albireo'. As in a *Camberwell Carrot sense; it looks like Albireo and you can see it in winter lol.

Ever since, it's been one of my favourite winter objects. I don't think it will be visible to me at a convenient time until late January.

*Withnail & I reference.

Withnail & I (1987 Handmade Films)

Edited by Nightspore
Camberwell Carrots
  • Like 2

One of my favourite doubles too Dave. Unfortunately I won't be able to see it until late December/early January due to trees & houses. I found out about it quite a few years ago when I bought Turn Left at Orion. I would urge anyone who has not seen it to have a look because it is a beautiful double.

1 hour ago, Glafnazur said:

One of my favourite doubles too Dave. Unfortunately I won't be able to see it until late December/early January due to trees & houses. I found out about it quite a few years ago when I bought Turn Left at Orion. I would urge anyone who has not seen it to have a look because it is a beautiful double.

Yes, it's not easy to see for me either. At least until it gets to around transit. Being fairly low it's actually easier for me to stand up and find manually.

RrEY93Q.jpg

There's a lot in that area, including the Little Beehive (M41). Once you've clocked Al Zara, 145 CMa is just a few arc minutes south-east. I still can't believe I discovered it sweeping with an f/12.7 Mak! I'd have been better off with a Smarties tube lol.

0VW9CEF.jpg

It's over 6000 LY away. I'm not sure if it's a true binary or an optical double. So we're seeing it probably as it was at the time of Ancient Mesopotamia/Sumer. The Sumerians were some of the first 'astronomers'.