• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rc scopes 6”

Bottletopburly

Just toying with idea of a Rc scope 6”  possibly 8”there does seem to be some good buys at times in the used market, pros I can see no corrector required, longer fl , good value , I’m assuming lighter than a Newtonian, how does collimation hold in these scopes are they a pita ? Thoughts chaps cameras used would be a zwo533mc  2x2=1.13pixels atik 490 2x2 1.11pixels  obviously the zwo would be software binned atik can be binned in hardware ,how’s balancing using these ? thoughts chaps .

Edited by Bottletopburly
Balancing

3 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

... pros I can see no corrector required...

Are you sure? A R-C may not give the coma present in an uncorrected Newtonian but I've always thought the focal plane curvature of a R-C is more than that of an equal focal length Newtonian so you'll still need a field flattener?

At around 1500mm focal length you could still possibly get away with 1x1 binning depending upon the seeing, especially with the OSC since the bayer pixel matix is effectively on a 2x2 binning pitch.

• Like 1

Biggest problem with the smaller RC's is the visual back is fixed to the primary mirror.

Once you attach a camera ect the weight can introduce tilt.

This is an absolute nightmare to get rid of.

If you are serious about getting an RC get one with an isolated visual back.

• Like 1

Thanks @Cliveand @Graham I haven’t read any need for a field flattener Clive  tilt adjuster I have , and I will look into the visual back issue graham , only looking at the possibility at the minute hence looking at the pitfalls , food for thought 👍

@Graham thanks for that heads up I read a thread on CN and pretty much confirmed what you were saying unless they’ve altered the design, I will definitely read up more but looking light a no go , maybe a wo gt81 at some point then 🤣

• 3 months later...

Hello

I've had an two RC6s over the years and a few observations from your question:

(1) They are heavier than a Newtonian of the same aperature

(2) No correction required and gives flat field

(3) Tilt - no more/less an issue than any other system

(4) Collimation holds very well

(5) If using a one shot colour camera do not bother with binning - does not give any better result

All the best :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

Hello

I've had an two RC6s over the years and a few observations from your question:

(1) They are heavier than a Newtonian of the same aperature

(2) No correction required and gives flat field

(3) Tilt - no more/less an issue than any other system

(4) Collimation holds very well

(5) If using a one shot colour camera do not bother with binning - does not give any better result

All the best 🙂

Thanks Matthew I will keep those points in mind , in the end I went wider field and bought a Redcat 51 v2 , just waiting on. Zwo Eaf then good to go .