• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astronomer, Reinvented

Honestly, I have had worse years but overall, the year was definitely below the average of the 68 I have lived. The lowlight was losing Andy, our dog. We can take comfort that he's been the longest-lived dog we've had so far and Freddie, the puppy sitting next to me. Freddie is lovely and he replaces the company but we miss Andy. I've also had problems with fatigue and depression. I find astronomy helps a lot but clear skies have been few and far between, especially in the last 3 months. 

Best part of the year was that we had a great week in North Devon in August to celebrate my wife's big birthday. Our daughter and her boyfriend were with us and so were Freddie and Ollie, our daughter's dog. I even managed a few sneaky photos, as the Perseids were active at the time.

I don't think 2023 was a great year for the world either. I don't understand the politics and won't comment but far too many people died in wars. I'm lucky that being short of money means not getting much new kit but, for many people, affording the basics has been unattainable. 

Obviously, it will help astronomers to get more clear sky. From a selfish point of view, I will settle for an average year this year but I sincerely hope for a better year for everyone.