• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie Alert

AshleyCUK

Hi All

Just a quick intro!  Im based in Newark and have been fiddling around with a small Celestron 76EQ over the summer that i picked up from a boot sale.  That got me hooked so for a xmas pressie i got a shiney new Stellalyra 8" newtonian.  Ive been looking for a local group and google pointed me this way 🙂  Im really looking forward to getting invovled in any meets and seeing what the Dark Site is all about.  Anyway, happy new year! looking forward to some clear skies!

Ashley

• Like 3

Hi Ashley, I am also in Newark and apart from the weather I really enjoy this hobby (although it does get frustrating sometimes!)..

Ron

Hi. I've found answers to all my astro questions on here so it's a good place to ask them. Clear skies is the only thing that can't be solved unfortunately 😄

Welcome Ashley,

You should find most of your answers here. Additionally we have two daek sites, and group meetings away to Norfolk, Exmoor etc.

Enjoy the forum

Hi and welcome to the forum Ashley. 

Welcome Ashley.  I’ve just resurrected my 8” Newt. Now just waiting for clear skies.

A warm welcome to the group Ashley. That's not a bad upgrade is it? You'll be amazed what it can pull out from a dark spot, enjoy your new scope.

Any questions, just shout up, someone will help out.

Edited by BAZ

Hi Ashley welcome to the EMS

Welcome to EMS.  

That's a nice scope to have

Which scope did you go for? The F4 or F5? 

* I like checking out other people's kit 😁

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Possibly the F6 version if its the Dob.....

Anyway,  a warm welcome to the madhouse Ashley.

Welcome Ashley you’ll find this a friendly group I will assume a dobsonian as no mention of a mount if so check out Astrohopper which is an app to find your targets all you need to do is find a way to attach a smart phone to your telescope , not used myself but does what it says on the tin apparently 

https://artyom-beilis.github.io/astrohopper.html

https://astronomytechnologytoday.com/2022/06/23/astrohopper/

Dave 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Posted (edited)
On 05/01/2024 at 15:15, Stu said:

oh the f5 version. I was told at point of sale , from FLO, that the f4 was a little harder to keep collimated and just a little more work for a beginner, so i plumped for the f5.  Im suprised just how damn heavy it all is!  i was thinking of a 10" at one point, thank god i didnt go that route!  I just thought to splash out now on something that will last me a few years but i get the impression the EQ5 mount is at its limits, we will see!

Anyway, clear skies tonight at last!  so i finally get to use it!

Edited by AshleyCUK

@AshleyCUKNice one thanks. I had some awesome views through my 6" F5 so you should be well away with the 8". Enjoy 😊