• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mirror cleaning

T A WOW

Hello all. I've just carefully taken my pride and joy to pieces so I can flock the tube. Upon close inspection I have noticed that the primary mirror is a bit dirty.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to clean them. Do I just use washing up liquid, glass window cleaner, or some industrial alcohol cleaner like acetone? (which I can get)

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Leave it, leave it, leave it :)

Mirrors are fine covered in dust, holes in them and cracks on them.

It's really not worth getting it wrong if it's a new toy :)

Edited by Kheldar

Guest Tweedledum

ACETONE ----- NOOOO :(

Please follow Stephens advice first!.

If you MUST CLEAN IT, before using any wet agent, use a blower brush / compressed air can (upright or the propellant will come out) to shift any loose dust. This avoids the dust becoming a grinding and scratching compound, then use a microfibre cloth & warmish water with a drop or two of isopropyl alcohol. Avoid over wetting. You are liable to do more damage than good by over cleaning. Avoid anything with lint cotton wool etc.

Please don't clean it :)

Cheers

That's a fairly resounding NO then. I shall leave it alone.

Thanks everyone. And may I add that flocking a tube which is only 6 inches in diameter is a swear inducing task. But it's done now and looks lovely.

Flocking is indeed a royal pain, but the rewards are worth it.

Just incase you are still in any doubt as I know the above advice is a bit sketchy :lol: DON'T CLEAN IT unless you really really really need to. Mine is quite dusty but is still A1 tip top.

I also now have some flocking material spare if anyone would like it. One piece 450mm x 450mm (approx) one piece 1000mm x 330mm (approx)

Edited by T A WOW

Mirrors can be cleaned - I followed this guide from Steve Richards who knows what he's doing:

But unless it's totally mucked up like the picture in Doc's post above then it's simply not worth the risk for a little bit of dust. I've seen 24" mirrors with a chunk the size of my hand out of the edge still producing fabulous ccd images. :)