• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M33

I used to think M33 was an ugly galaxy but it has grown on me over the years, nice capture Ron 👍

It'd be interested to find out the cause of the 'black holes' in the middle of the bright stars.  Did you stack using DSS by any chance?

Yes Clive DSS, I never noticed them before!!

30 minutes ago, RonC said:

Yes Clive DSS, I never noticed them before!!

There was a discussion on the DDS forum quite some time back about DSS introducing black holes in bright stars.  If I remember correctly instead of limiting the peak intensity to a maximum value it was reset back to 0 if it went above the maximum allowable value.  If I also remember correctly it was something to do with the settings on the 'Cosmetic Correction' tab when stacking. I was under the impression that it had been fixed, but if it was I'm not sure at which version.  It could be that going from 2x2 binning to 1x1 binning has highlighted the issue, I'll have a search through the forum to see if I can find the relevant thread if you're interested in investigating the problem. 

Good work Ron, it's not easy that one. The first time I looked for it visually, I spent two hours looking clean through it, I was using way too much magnification. I only realised when other area's of the sky weren't hazy.

On 17/01/2024 at 13:47, Clive said:

There was a discussion on the DDS forum quite some time back about DSS introducing black holes in bright stars.  If I remember correctly instead of limiting the peak intensity to a maximum value it was reset back to 0 if it went above the maximum allowable value.  If I also remember correctly it was something to do with the settings on the 'Cosmetic Correction' tab when stacking. I was under the impression that it had been fixed, but if it was I'm not sure at which version.  It could be that going from 2x2 binning to 1x1 binning has highlighted the issue, I'll have a search through the forum to see if I can find the relevant thread if you're interested in investigating the problem. 

Yes please Clive if you can?

1 hour ago, RonC said:

Yes please Clive if you can?

I had a quick search on the DSS forum.  There are at least a couple of threads relating to 'black holes' in stars.  I think the post I remembered regarding number overflow was related to V4.2.5 and the other thread related to enabling hot/cold pixel removal within the Cosmetic Tab was also for V4 versions but I didn't see anything suggesting something was done in subsequent releases.  What version of DSS are you running and do you have anything enabled in the Cosmetic tab?

Wow you're brave! 😆. I would have thought any 'overflow' bugs in V4 would have been fixed in V5 but I'm not even convinced they've even sorted all the bugs that were introduced porting the new version to QT yet!  Perhaps worth reseting to the default settings to see if that removes the holes or even try the last V4 version with the default settings (the different versions can run side by side on the same PC).

Just done that and stacked some old M1 images and no star holes!

I'll monitor the  images in the future, thanks for your help Clive.

Ron 

I'm not sure I was any help, just a PITA for mentioning it!  Hopefully it's sorted but if it happens again I would certainly recommend an email to the DSS forum.

Clive, stacked both 1x1 and 2x2, the 1x1 stack still had some black holes in the larger stars but the 2x2 (same settings) did not?

How strange but it doesn't really surprise me!  It could be due to a multitude reasons...the image capture software (I believe you use APT?),  DSS or the processing software.  If you post a few lights on a file sharing site I would be happy to have a look...I've got no other images of my own to process!

I'm going to stick with 2x2 binning for while....