• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

power tank

Speed

HI   Any recommendations  for a power tank   purely visual   so to drive the scope and a few dew bands 

I have   been using a jump starter  for many years   but looking for something more modern    

Thanks 

I like the Tracer LIPO cells, but they are pricey now.

I used to have two, but believe it or not i lost one of them. Don't ask me how 😒

FLO used to sell them but no longer do. But they are still available.

https://tracerpower.com/products/batteries/tracer-12v-10ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack/

I also have one of the newer Celestron cells (the bigger one) Don't use it much, and prefer the tracers.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank-pro.html

HTH, Rob 🙂

yes I was looking at the Celestron ones   and the Bresser     will look at the Tracer   

The Celestron comes in two sizes : the smaller one may well be sufficient, but not sure if powering a mount AND dew bands at the same time is viable, as they

would both draw quite a bit of current. The bigger unit is quite big and heavy.

The Celestron has a wrap around cord to supposedly hold in in place on a tripod leg, but tbh, it's not very well designed.

It also has a red / white light option which is mega bright.

Lots of size options with the Tracers so you could buy 2 smaller cells to suit your needs.

They also have a nice neoprene jacket to keep the battery well insulated and dry from dew.

I'd personally recommend the Tracer option but like they say in the US, 'your mileage may vary'

Anker do all sorts of power tanks etc. Really good quality. I've had a small one for phones/vapes/tablets for about 5 years and it's still going strong. 

Hi   I have also been looking at the Bresser    Omegon   which gets a great review opn youtube   and the  Total cool  ( which looks  identical to the Omegon )

Let me know Dave if you want to go down the Celestron route.

I have the big version, but would be happy to sell it at a bargain price.

Its a few years old, but has hardly been used.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Anker do all sorts of power tanks etc. Really good quality. I've had a small one for phones/vapes/tablets for about 5 years and it's still going strong. 

They look a step up in quality from the usual offerings. Wow they have some that are £2000 a go....😲

5 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Wow they have some that are £2000 a go....😲

2000Wh might be slight overkill for an astro setup 😄

so I am running a skywatcher  EQM 35 pro  that pulls 3A   and a couple of  dew heater bands   so what  size / output would I need  please 

The EQM35 won't pull 3A continually.  I did measure mine years ago and when it was just tracking (i.e. not slewing) I'm sure it was much less than 1A.  But lets assume with a few slews the average is 1A so at 12V that's a power consumption of just 12 W.  You don't mention your dew heater power consumption but assumimg 4W each that would mean a total power consumption of 20W.  I'm assumimg you buy a LiFePO4 technology battery (as they have a nominal voltage of 12.8V as opposed to other Li batteries nominal voltage of just 11.1V) so that means you would need a battery with a capacity of at least 20W multiplied by the maximum number of hours you expect to use it in a session.  For example,  a 6 hour session would be a total of 120 Whr so a 10Ahr would more than suffice.

looking at this    Fox Halo 48K Fishing Power Bank Pack - CEI177 very small  qnd looks just like the Omegon   

• 1 month later...

The Fox Halo power bank   48k  is really good  I have 10 hrs  running the mount and still have lots left so I guess I could get   15-20 hours depending on how much slewing is done   recommend this