• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ST80 Club (Outing Reprise)

Nightspore

Well, I managed another Moonless ST80 Club session. This one was not quite a disaster, although not totally without incident. It all started off maybe around 03:00 GMT, 19/1/24. It’s difficult to tell now as my Swiss watch is basically Swiss cheese.

BkgpdoJl.jpg

I could see a lot of stars but the jet stream was not as favourable as I’d have liked. As a consequence there was a fair amount in the sky, but the seeing was only average. Leo was magnificent in the south, so my first sweeps with the 30mm GSO SuperView (13.3x) were in the big lion which was at 48°,12’,01.7” altitude. This is one of the original Sumerian/Babylonian astrological constellations. I can actually ‘see’ the lion

B9GbfIsl.jpg

Although I was really more interested in the tail of the lion, now usually called Coma Berenices. Apparently because when Ptolemy III Euergetes ruled Egypt, with his queen Berenice II, who was the daughter of the King of Cyrene, Euergetes got into a bit of a scrap with the Assyrians. Berenice promised to sacrifice her beautiful blonde hair (not sure if she was a peroxide blonde or not) if Euergetes survived the rumble in the jungle with the Assyrians. When he returned unharmed Berenice cut her Debbie Harry barnet off and placed it in the temple of Aphrodite. Of course, over night, it got half-inched, much to the consternation of the king and queen, who were not amused. Luckily, Conon, the quick thinking court astronomer/astrologer, claimed that Aphrodite was so impressed by baldy Berenice’s detached barnet fair that the Goddess had placed it into the sky for all to admire. Luckily Euergetes and Berenice were gullible enough to fall for this. Meanwhile a certain wig-maker received a bit of a windfall. Either way, Coma Berenices needs a low power to really enjoy the heavenly golden locks. M44 aka ‘The Beehive’ (Cancer) was the next logical target. I could see it with the naked eye and at 13.3x. It was best at about 27x (15mm GSO SuperView). Well, I got a bit of a buzz out of it anyway.

TU7GUlH.png

The open clusters M37 and M35 were very nice. I’ve always had a soft spot for M37 (Auriga) ever since I discovered it by accident years ago in the south east one autumn evening with my 130mm Newtonian. Many consider it to be the finest open cluster in the night sky. Apparently it was originally discovered by some cat called Giovanni Batista Hodierna before 1654. Although Messier claimed it in 1764. It is nearly as big (24 arc minutes) as the Full Moon in diameter, with perhaps 500 stars.

n21fl28.jpg

Eventually, as I was starting to freeze, I turned my attention to Cassiopeia, wife of King Cepheus of Ethiopia. Cassie upset the Nereids (don’t ask) who sent a whale to ravage the coast of the kingdom. Luckily for their daughter (and potential sacrifice) Andromeda, whales mostly eat plankton or Pringles (or something). Anyway Perseus took the credit for saving Andromeda. I’m guessing he also stole Berenice’s hair as well. The Owl Cluster was very nice at both 13.3x and 27x. Its head pointing to around the 5 o’clock region. I tried to split Achird at around 100x but it was not very successful. Iota Cass was equally difficult. I’m guessing anything much smaller than around a 2mm exit pupil isn’t handled well by an achromat. The CA might not be obvious but it takes its toll at higher magnifications. At least the Polaris ‘Engagement Ring’ was engaging enough. It was then that I noticed the huge constellation of Draco, well at least its head.

JqhBB9x.png

Draco is one of the only constellations that actually look like their name IMO. Draco supposedly guarded the Golden Fleece until Jason turned him into toast. I managed to split the double star Kuma (5th magnitude) in the Dragon’s Head, although it is fairly easy. A good pair of binoculars should do it without problem.

P50EVnI.png

Finally, I noticed Corvus in the south under Virgo. It looks nothing like a crow if you ask me.

7PpJtM8.png

It consists of four stars: Algorab, Gienah Corvi, Kraz and Minkar. The ST80 failed to split Gienah Corvi, which I think is the easiest of the four (it’s been a while so I’m not sure). I did split Algieba (Leo) and Castor (Gemini) earlier at about 60x without any real problems though. I was so cold by now that I decided to pack up. I stood most of the session due to frosty seat syndrome. I then discovered my Vixen TL-130 tripod had frozen open. It’s done this before in cold weather. I have two of these tripods, only one sticks in the cold. Guess which one I took out?

igJn3TCl.jpg

After two gruelling and slippery journeys back (thank the Goddess for the trolley lol) I managed to sit down indoors in the warm at about 05:00. It was a tiring night for me, and I realised the limitations of the ST80's doublet, but it was enjoyable. 

At about 05:45 I got to see a naked eye rising Venus/Ishtar again.

• Like 4

An informative and entertaining read. Thanks 

Great report, Dave. It's been below freezing in my neck of the woods and now comes the rain as it warms up! I have a soft spot for M37; I love the way it resolves the longer you gaze at it. M36/37/38 are like the power trio of Auriga, lol.

8 hours ago, The Fellas on Google Plus said:

Great report, Dave. It's been below freezing in my neck of the woods and now comes the rain as it warms up! I have a soft spot for M37; I love the way it resolves the longer you gaze at it. M36/37/38 are like the power trio of Auriga, lol.

Thanks Reggie. It's been cold here, but it's typical for the time of year. I think a couple of years ago we had a particularly warm January/February and I got a load of sessions in. The ST80 is showing its limitations a bit now for me. Auriga is a bit open cluster city lol. Hopefully in Spring I can get better (and maybe bigger) scopes out. Unfortunately my back garden has a steep incline just as I reach the house. This can be difficult for me when there is frost on the ground. I missed all the Spring constellations last year due to ill health. It's one of my favourite seasons as the sky is still dark enough for decent observing. Summer's OK, but when you live as near to the North Pole as I do there is no real astronomical dark for several weeks in Summer.  It's often really warm on a night though. You can't have everything I guess.

We can have Broken Peach though!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 02:58, Nightspore said:

Thanks Reggie. It's been cold here, but it's typical for the time of year. I think a couple of years ago we had a particularly warm January/February and I got a load of sessions in. The ST80 is showing its limitations a bit now for me. Auriga is a bit open cluster city lol. Hopefully in Spring I can get better (and maybe bigger) scopes out. Unfortunately my back garden has a steep incline just as I reach the house. This can be difficult for me when there is frost on the ground. I missed all the Spring constellations last year due to ill health. It's one of my favourite seasons as the sky is still dark enough for decent observing. Summer's OK, but when you live as near to the North Pole as I do there is no real astronomical dark for several weeks in Summer.  It's often really warm on a night though. You can't have everything I guess.

We can have Broken Peach though!

Absolutely!!!!

19 hours ago, The Fellas on Google Plus said:

Absolutely!!!!

Don't tell anybody, but I've ordered one of these:

28bLHOM.png

That looks interesting. I’m looking forward to your report on its performance.

5 hours ago, Streetbob said:

That looks interesting. I’m looking forward to your report on its performance.

Yeah, although it does look a bit like a 'knock-off Nagler'. Most of the SVB EP's I have are well made and perform well.

nRGVGLel.jpg

I don't know who actually makes their stuff. This 8mm Plossl above is basically a Vixen with a different eyecup IMO.

29AZnSll.jpg

Their Expanse clone is very well made as well. Coatings seem well above average IMO.

fAA2KqBl.jpg

As far as I can tell SVBony are a front for some form of Chinese marketing company. 

fMuXvbsl.jpg

Possibly based in Hong Kong. The companies they contract out to seem to be high quality. So, I'm looking forward to trying this competitively priced zoom. 

21 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Don't tell anybody, but I've ordered one of these:

28bLHOM.png

I got one recently and although I've only used it the once,  in less than ideal conditions, I was well impressed.

25 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

I got one recently and although I've only used it the once,  in less than ideal conditions, I was well impressed.

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to testing it myself now. Well, if the weather gives me a chance this year ... lol. I'm thinking of using it with my f/6 60EDF.

DMaIDrkl.jpg

I can then take out only three EP's: 36mm Baader Aspheric, Baader Hyperion Zoom and the SV zoom. With only three eyepieces I will have a range from 10x to 120x. 10x for 2" low power sweeping and the zooms cover 24mm-8mm then 8mm-3mm. Basically I will have a range of 15x to 45x, then 45 to 120x. It sounds good in theory. The SV zoom should arrive next Tuesday. I'm hoping for some decent weather.

CS9DuNx.png

I'm not that optimistic however.

Ly8DL8Tl.jpg

I was initially concerned that the barrel would be longer than the TV 3-6mm and contact the Baader MaxBright mirror. They are about the same however, very similar to a standard GSO Plossl barrel.

kfqgqnsl.jpg

Edited by Nightspore