• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Home Observing Session of 2024

Glafnazur

Nice session. Jupiter is high at the moment, compared to what it has been like for a few years anyway.

BtlAPFw.png

Jupiter never disappoints, and over the last few years, its become my favourite object to observe in the entire night sky.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Jupiter never disappoints, and over the last few years, its become my favourite object to observe in the entire night sky.

Jupiter has always been my favourite planet. 

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

It's very dynamic compared to other planets.

39 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

Jupiter has always been my favourite planet. 

I'm not sure if I have a 'favourite' planet, mind you, I don't even have a favourite pizza topping (Margherita with ham & pineapple at the moment) but it can change lol.

8 hours ago, Nightspore said:

It's very dynamic compared to other planets.

That's what makes it my favourite Space Science Animation GIF by European Space Agency - ESA

• Like 2

Sounds like a good session. Thanks for the report.

10 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

That's what makes it my favourite Space Science Animation GIF by European Space Agency - ESA

Cool GIF!

I read an interesting thread about Jupiter and its 4 moons on SGL.

Question : Have you ever seen Jupiter with only 2 moons visible ? ie two moons were either in shadow, occulted behind or in transit. Probably yes.

How about only the 1 ??  Bit of head scratching there....?? 🙂

But how about none at all ??  Well, yes it can happen, but its a very rare event. Jupiter must look very odd with no moons being visible.

Regarding shadow transits, it is impossible to see four at the same time. Due to their orbital characteristics it can't happen. But you can have  3 shadow transits happening simultaneously ;

Io, Europa, and Ganymede. But again, this is a very rare event.

I think this is why i like Jupiter so much. I've always been fascinated by eclipses, transits, occultations, conjunctions of any sort. My wife reckons i'm slightly mad.

Edited by Bino-viewer

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I read an interesting thread about Jupiter and its 4 moons on SGL.

Question : Have you ever seen Jupiter with only 2 moons visible ? ie two moons were either in shadow, occulted behind or in transit. Probably yes.

How about only the 1 ??  Bit of head scratching there....?? 🙂

But how about none at all ??  Well, yes it can happen, but its a very rare event. Jupiter must look very odd with no moons being visible.

Regarding shadow transits, it is impossible to see four at the same time. Due to their orbital characteristics it can't happen. But you can have  3 shadow transits happening simultaneously ;

Io, Europa, and Ganymede. But again, this is a very rare event.

I think this is why i like Jupiter so much. I've always been fascinated by eclipses, transits, occultations, conjunctions of any sort. My wife reckons i'm slightly mad.

That's really interesting Rob, I can see a future DDAS quiz question there 🙂 

I was quite intrigued that given their short orbital periods the occurance of the disappearance of all 4 Galilean moons doesn't happen fairly frequently but it appears it is due to the distance of Callisto from Jupiter so it usually passes above or below.  A search on the web showed the last occurance was in 2021 so I missed that one (but it was during daylight from the UK) and the next one won't be until July 2033 which will be visible from the UK during the early morning sky from the UK (so I won't see that one either!)