• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bigger guidescope?

Stu

Does a bigger guidescope improve guiding? I have a 32mm guidescope. I've got a couple of 50mm finders that could be used instead, would it make any difference? 

Not so sure nowadays with the guiding software been able to do sub pixel guiding I don't think it makes that much difference esp with our seeing.

Having said that I did buy an ED 80 as a guidescope back in the day and if I think about it when using the OAG I have used 200 mm scope at 2000 mm focal length.

@Ibbo Fair enough, I've not had any guiding issues that weren't my own doing so will just stick with the 32mm. 

It's the focal length that's important for guiding accuracy rather than the aperture.  The resolution in arc-sec per pixel for the guide scope/camera combination should ideally be not be less than about 1/5 the resolution in arc-sec per pixel for the imaging scope/camera combination, the closer the better which is why OAG's are better for long focal length imaging scopes.

Yep a focal length thing as well as guide cam resolution as Steve says.

I used to image at f10 through a C11 but guide with a 127 mak at f12 very successfully with a pretty basic guide am in my early days of imaging.

You say you have not had problems so I would say leave that can of worms unopened

39 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

You say you have not had problems so I would say leave that can of worms unopened

This. This is the very best advice anyone can give a fellow astrophotographer. One day I hope to listen to this advice myself 🙄

22 minutes ago, Bob Dobber said:

This. This is the very best advice anyone can give a fellow astrophotographer. One day I hope to listen to this advice myself 🙄

Me too

1 hour ago, Ibbo said:

Agreed