• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2 New EPs

Glafnazur

Very nice Dave.

I'd be very interested in how the Morphs compare to my old / new Vixen LVWs.

I've tried a pair of 15mm De-lites before but couldn't get on with them in the bino-viewer.

I found eye placement very tricky, and the big eye lenses (like the Delos) maybe a factor there.

Binoviewing eyepieces are quite a personal thing, and while for me the Panoptics are perfect for the job (i have the 19s and 24s) 

the newer stuff, i never got on with so well.

But as a single eyepiece, they are very good and sharp, and the adjustable eyecups are nice for that perfect amount of eye relief.

16 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'd be very interested in how the Morphs compare to my old / new Vixen LVWs.

If ever you go to a dark sky meet and you wouldn't mind giving me a lift, then I'd be more than happy to bring the Morphs along Rob.

Yes Dave, that sounds like a good plan.

You are kind of on the way to Wymeswold as well.

But we currently have a few problems on site there, but hopefully we can resolve them....

On 03/02/2024 at 17:16, Bino-viewer said:

Yes Dave, that sounds like a good plan.

You are kind of on the way to Wymeswold as well.

But we currently have a few problems on site there, but hopefully we can resolve them....

what's up with the WW site Rob?  Just the PIR's - or has something else occurred! 

Yes, thats it.

5x PIRs's around the perimeter of the building

And no current access to the inside of the building to see if they can be switched off.

To me, as a 'darksite paying member' it's an unsatisfactory state of affairs.

Edited by Bino-viewer

We are trying to make contact with the parish Council, but as you know they are very difficult to get hold of.

There is always the Belper site available until we can get access and see what the score is with the security lights. I am worried they might not let turn us turn them off in light of recent circumstances! In which case we would have to consider the future usage of the site!

• Like 2

I agree Andy.

I have my doubts whether they can be 'isolated' for the duration of a session, unless we could perhaps 'trip out' the relevant circuit breaker from inside.

The one on the west side is the main problem : its very high up. You can actually NOT set it off if you are careful, but if you venture to the other side

of the picnic tables it will pick you up.

The two on the south side on the veranda are also a big problem : they are located by the doors so going inside the pavilion will obviously activate them.

I'm not sure what they will actually achieve, to me they are futile and a waste of time, because the place is pretty isolated and not overlooked, unless theres a dog walker about.

They may even assist any would-be burglars, as they will expose any potential weak spots for intruders to see.

Its an unfortunate situation, as its a decent site with Bortle 5 skys, and more importantly offers us some shelter, and a hard surface to set up, and places to put our gear.

But you can understand them wanting to do all they can to mitigate the risk of another break-in.

I wonder if our EMS society was brought up when they discussed fitting the lights ??

Surely it must have been mentioned that an astro society / group meets up there ?  No doubt in my mind, but would they care ?? 

No chance, but i'm sure more than happy to take our money anyway.

I agree the lights do seem pointless and could aid ne’er do wells. I wonder if it was insisted upon by the insurer? I seem to remember they obtained lottery money  by including us in their proposal so maybe they have a requirement to provide for us. Hopefully it will be possible to turn them off while we are there.