• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Binoviewer eyepieces

Streetbob

So does anyone know if the BST Starguider 25mm ep would be good in a binoviewer for a 200mm newt and f7.5 frac?  I know Televues are highly rated but too expensive.

Your thoughts much appreciated.

I guess that's the downside of having to buy in pairs. There's the ES 62° 26mm. More than the BST but not TV prices. My 68° 16mm was great, I only sold it because it wasn't a magnification I used much. 

• Like 2

I have a couple of StarGuiders, 25mm & 3.2mm:

yvoOvenl.jpg

The 25mm is a nice EP but I'm not sure about using it at less than f/8 (can display edge distortion). This does not affect the 3.2mm.

0rIJjmJl.jpg

I like the 20mm WO SWAN's. Not cheap, but cheaper than a pair of TV's.

aRAYVX7l.jpg

At the time Doug, i couldn't afford new 24mm TV Panoptics, so i eventually brought them second hand.

Always well worth keeping a close watch on UKABS as they do appear on there fairly often.

There was one on there recently for £150. 

I'm not sure about the BST Starguiders, but i'm sure they would do the job to a point, but like @Nightspore says, how well corrected are they ?

Have you considered the ES 24/68 ?  Its well regarded and they are £132 each and a big step up in quality.

It might be worth putting out a 'wanted' ad for either of these two and see what comes up.

I'm interested in how you are going to binoview with your 200mm Newtonian ? Sounds interesting....

I was also looking at Altair UFF 24mm which are £109 each, but thought if the BSTs worked and are half the price it was a better deal.

19 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm interested in how you are going to binoview with your 200mm Newtonian ?

I have used a 2” 2x Tele-extender, a bit of a hand grenade but allows me to focus.

0I0Gshzl.jpg

Not sure if I'd recommend the 24mm ES for a bino. I think it's a great EP, in many ways I like it as much as the 24mm Pan.

77m8w0Yl.jpg

The ES isn't particularly lightweight however. Although there's no reason it couldn't be used in a bino. I'm not saying it's heavy but ... don't drop one on your foot unless you have steel toecaps. LOL

Edited by Nightspore

I think that what makes the 24 Panoptic so ideal for binoviewing is its ergonomic factor.

The conical top is very helpful if your nose is bigger than average and it is so light and manageable.

Its one of my favourite all time eyepieces, and optically it really shines.

I remember my old 12" F4 Newtonian. With most eyepieces you'd be able to see quite bad coma, and in all likelihood need some sort of corrector.

To me it wasn't that noticeable in the 24 Pan, its that well corrected.

I plan to use the Newt for mainly Lunar , though will look into getting a corrector if needed.

3 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Not sure if I'd recommend the 24mm ES for a bino.

Thanks for the tip. 

3 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

Thanks for the tip. 

The ULTRAFLAT series were apparently designed in the US by Mark Ackermann and are actually manufactured by Kunming United Optics.

xrStmWIl.jpg

APM owned the exclusive rights for two years. They are now sold under a variety of brand names and housing liveries. Although the range has ‘only’ a 65° AFOV they were reputed to have a very flat, sharp field.

lgjQF19.jpg

The 24mm equivalent are probably heavy though. A pair of 25mm TMB clones might work well.

A8cz8Ijl.jpg

16 hours ago, Nightspore said:

A pair of 25mm TMB clones might work well.

I can only find these available at Teleskope-express. Not sure if there are any additional import costs now but still could be worth a try as relatively cheap. And a third of the weight of the uffs 

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:

I can only find these available at Teleskope-express. Not sure if there are any additional import costs now but still could be worth a try as relatively cheap. And a third of the weight of the uffs 

I think these are only 60 quid because they are US imports. There are probably cheaper somewhere on Amazon. I've bought these for as little as 25 quid under generic names! These SvBony are probably the same as Vixen NPL's.

And do they give better views than the Starguider?

2 hours ago, Streetbob said:

And do they give better views than the Starguider?

Good question. The TMB 25mm will show some edge distortion, but I always thought my 25mm TMB version was better than the BST, which definitely showed EOF distortion. AFAIK the SvB NPL clones (I'm not positive they are clones, even though the 8mm is basically identical) are as good as the Vixen.

29AZnSll.jpg

Same 50 degree FOV though.

• 4 weeks later...