• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Dobsonian 10" primary imperfections

Tangerinedream

Hi all,

I made a big u turn on my visual setup and decided in the end to opt for a Bresser Messier 10" Dob as they were on offer from Bresser UK.

Having now received it I have inspected the primary mirror using the "flashlight test" to check the coating. To my suprise I found it to be scattered with holes of light shining through!

As this is a brand new scope am I correct in thinking this is a poor quality mirror and return it?

I've emailed Bresser UK but awaiting a response.

That doesn't look right! Is there a protective covering?

I looked at this last night, but 12 hours later and thinking about it, I still can't figure out whats going on.

Sorry i can't be of more help.

It doesn’t look right to me. If you are not happy with it I would return it, even if you’re told it is okay.

Bresser customer service have been good to deal with so far. They are awaiting a response from the head of astronomy at Bresser. Hopefully they can just exchange the primary mirror as sending the whole thing back is a bit of a faff. 

From what I understand there is an aluminium coating on the primary and it looks as though there are flaws in the coating application. Over time the coating will degrade anyway so from new this isn't good really.

Will see what Bresser has to say.

13 minutes ago, RonC said:

Keep us in the loop Josh...

Will do. I'd be sad to send it back as the Dob itself is very well made and operates smoothly.

That's great news, are you OK replacing the mirror?

16 hours ago, RonC said:

That's great news, are you OK replacing the mirror?

Haven't done one before but doesn't sound too bad. Is there anything I should be aware of other than marking orientation and not overtightened screws?

1 hour ago, RonC said:

Just cleanliness! ☺️

Nitrile gloves will probably be a good ideal then

• 2 weeks later...

So unfortunately, I returned the Dob in the end as storing it away from little hands proved to be difficult!

In praise of Bresser though they provided an excellent service with sorting out the faulty mirror.

Now going back to my original plan of 4" refractor grab and go setup that can be stored away more easily and securely....