• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Vixen GP or Alt Az mount for visual?

Tangerinedream

Hi all,

Looking for a good solid setup that is just in the  realms of grab and go.

OTA is Starfield 102ED F/7 and Uni28 tripod.

I'd like to able to load quite a bit of magnification onto the planets and moon. But also have a look at doubles, brighter DSO's and open clusters.

Would a Vixen GP fit the bill as once set up manual tracking will be easier. Or am I best going with a lighter setup such an AZ4 and do away with slo mo control?

If you want to 'load quite a bit of magnification' you can't do away with slow motion control. 

I had an equatorial mount for my 4" refractor and never really got on with it. 

An Alt-Az is much more convenient for visual work - everything stays the same way up and the same way round whatever you are looking at.  You would need something at least as hefty as a Sky-Tee 2 to do justice to the tripod.

• Like 1

IMO the Vixen Porta II and Half Pillar is the most stable for a 4" f/7 frac.

ngrSY25l.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nightspore said:

IMO the Vixen Porta II and Half Pillar is the most stable for a 4" f/7 frac.

ngrSY25l.jpg

Does it handle vibrations well at high mag? I'm looking at getting some Morpheus eyepieces which probably aren't the lightest.

4 hours ago, bryand said:

If you want to 'load quite a bit of magnification' you can't do away with slow motion control. 

I had an equatorial mount for my 4" refractor and never really got on with it. 

An Alt-Az is much more convenient for visual work - everything stays the same way up and the same way round whatever you are looking at.  You would need something at least as hefty as a Sky-Tee 2 to do justice to the tripod.

Would a EQ still be a pain even with a rotatable focuser? 

1 hour ago, Tangerinedream said:

Would a EQ still be a pain even with a rotatable focuser? 

No matter what rotation you set the focuser, your eye will still be in the same orientation!  I've never had any problem with the visual field rotation with an EQ mount as it happens so slowly, and you only need to adjust the RA axis to keep the target in the field of view rather than phafing about with 2 axes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Clive said:

No matter what rotation you set the focuser, your eye will still be in the same orientation!  I've never had any problem with the visual field rotation with an EQ mount as it happens so slowly, and you only need to adjust the RA axis to keep the target in the field of view rather than phafing about with 2 axes.

The only brief experience I've had with a EQ was a EQ6R-PRO and that was quite comfortable once the viewing was comfortable for me.

Having to adjust two knobs for good tracking with an alt az does sound tedious.

How would a Rowan AZ75 compare? It is somewhat beyond what I want to spend though.

2 hours ago, Tangerinedream said:

Does it handle vibrations well at high mag? I'm looking at getting some Morpheus eyepieces which probably aren't the lightest.

Mostly, yes. The return is pretty rapid unless you really bang into the OTA accidentally or something. 

8h15OVd.jpg

The Morpheus are surprisingly light for their size. I often use one with a 72mm f/5.8 refractor.

• Like 1

The az75 is a very solid well made mount, but no slo mo. I have the az100 which is brilliant, but heavy (and expensive).

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've made up my mind and got a good deal on a Vixen GP.