• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi there, new member introductions

Diko

My father was a RAF Flight Sergeant Pilot, he introduced me to astronomy and using the stars to navigate.

I joined the Wolf Cubs then the Scouts where I learnt about The Plough and how important the stars were to navigation.

When Sputnik 1 was launched in October 1957 us kids in my locality were out in the evenings looking to spot it with our plastic binoculars, we never did see it. Then Laika was launched in November 1957 the first Dog into space, out we went with our binoculars but nothing.

Fast forward to my teenage years and Yuri Gagarin, April 1961 first man in space and so it went on, space and the stars were interesting.

My first telescope was a Jessops TA1100-102 reflecting telescope given to me for Christmas 2007 by my son. This has proved a popular pastime on clear dry evenings for my family and I but it’s getting a bit old now and I am looking around for a modern replacement probably a NexStar SE or 127 SLT or something?

When you’re retired you need an interesting hobby. I will be asking some stupid questions so please bear with me.

• Like 2

Hi David, welcome to EMS. As the late great Carl Sagan said "There are naïve questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question" so ask away. The people here are very knowledgeable so I'm sure someone will have an answer to your questions.

What sort of things do you like observing?

I want to view and photo the planets then some deep space but I can’t do that with my ancient kit. Thank you for replying 👍

welcome to the ems david. 🙂

the new kit will be a vast improvement, so enjoy

Welcome to the forum.  Do post a photo when you get your new kit.

Yes I certainly will, there’s so much kit out there lots I didn’t know about.

Hi David, welcome from me too 😀🔭

Posted (edited)

As a Newbie I thought I would try to post a Dropbox photo of my Jessop reflecting telescope, here’s my first try.

Nope it didn’t work, sorry.

I was using my iPad perhaps I should try the Laptop?

Edited by Diko
Photo didn’t upload

Have followed one of the methods shown here?

I have thought about what I would like to observe and I have decided that The Planets are what mainly interests myself and my family.

As you know I have a Jessops Reflector telescope 1100-102 which I have used on and off for around seventeen years and we have mainly used it to view The Moon, mostly. 
I think observing The Planets, when we get the opportunity, and with that in mind the telescope should be able to support a camera at a later date. I don’t have a DSLR camera but am willing, later, to purchase a camera which can attach to a Laptop.

With that in mind I think a Celestron NexStar 127 GoTo would be a good purchase. Perhaps you could suggest some telescopes to compare?

Thanks for reading, Diko.

You could look at the Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 or the Bresser Messier MC-127, both are popular scopes.

3 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

You could look at the Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 or the Bresser Messier MC-127, both are popular scopes.

Skywatcher Skymax 127 AZ5 Deluxe Telescope, I havn’t thought of this one and a sensible price too. RVO give it a good write-up as well.

Thanks for your recommendation