• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Orion nebula

Adam Firth

This sketch probably took me longer than most just because of the amount of detail in m42. I could see the trapezium easily and i played around with the mag just to get the most detail that i couldspacer.png

• Like 3

I'm intrigued by your excellent  'positive' sketches.  When I occasionally sketched they were always 'negative' using pencils from 6H to 6B on white paper, so is there  something equivalent in white for sketching on black paper? 

41 minutes ago, Clive said:

I'm intrigued by your excellent  'positive' sketches.  When I occasionally sketched they were always 'negative' using pencils from 6H to 6B on white paper, so is there  something equivalent in white for sketching on black paper? 

I'm sure there is as I've heard it mentioned on 'the actual astronomy podcast' before where one of the hosts discussed sketching but I actually do it with a normal pencil on white paper like you. Then I take a picture and reverse the colours using snapseed. 

You can get white pastel pencils that are soft ( caran d’ache) and white harder pencils, though not such a range. I have made some moon drawings from photos before but not been brave enough to share them. I’d like to try at the eyepiece sometime.