• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bringing a refractor indoors

Speed

Hi   

I have read conflicting reports about how to bring a refractor inside from the cold 

Some say uncapped   others say capped and inside a case or a bag to prevent dewing up 

Advice would be appreciated 

Speed 

I take mine back indoors capped in a bag/case. Although, if after a particularly dewey session, I uncap the objective and let them dry naturally. Otherwise I let them dry capped in the in their respective bags/cases.

0PEELd3.jpg

I've only known my 80ED (above) still to be dewed over the following night. I'd left it in its case and capped. As a consequence I observed the comet NEOWISE with my 72 ED.

• Like 1

I've taken some advice from some other members and bring it in with the cap off and a desiccant cap in the focuser if I've been using it for visual. If I've been imagining it's cap off and imaging gear left attached until the next morning. 

• Like 2

As @Nightspore says. Exactly that.

What you don't want is to store a 'wet scope' in a warmer environment (indoors) as this can lead to big problems like mould / fungal ingress within the optics. Not good.

Let it dry out and gradually reacclimatise. But be careful not to 'thermal shock it' -  ie subjecting it to a 25ºc temperature change, from outdoors to indoors, and vice versa,

particularly if you have delicate optics, such as Fluorite for example.

Hi   

Thanks for the info   there seems to be two trains of thought here   

1 caps off 

2 caps on   

I contacted Takahashi  Europe and this is what they said  

After use, when you bring your FC-100DZ into the house, do not replace

the front caps on the objective side and the rear caps on the eyepiece side.

Leave your FC-100DZ dry all day to evacuate internal humidity.

Preferably on a table, optical tube horizontal, to avoid the entry of dust.

Moisture should never be confined within the optical tube.

I was  a little  concerned about the objective misting up when bringing it in and again this is the reply 

Hi Remi

Does it matter that the objective lens will dew up on the outside when

I bring the telescope inside without the cap on

The reply 

It does not matter.

The important thing is to dry the tube well externally and internally.

The enemy of optics being confined condensation.

Best regards,

Rémi

With the FC-100's i'd keep it in its cold case when you bring it indoors (have the case outside while you observe) for 30-60 mins or so with the lid ajar / unzipped a bit

just to let it slowly acclimatise. A good idea is to keep lots of silica gel sachets in the case to keep moisture levels down.

Then once its slowly warmed up take it out and let any leftover moisture / condensation evaporate.

This way you won't be thermally shocking the optic. This scope is a Fluorite doublet (the 2 elements are very close together indeed) and the more sensitive Fluorite

element is BEHIND its mating element (not facing outwards) so this gives the fluorite some protection. This is called a Steinheil design.

Other fluorite designs do it the other way around so the fluorite is facing forwards : a Fraunhofer design, and a little more care is needed.

One thing you don't want to do with Fluorite is thermally shock it, for example use a warm hair dryer on it to help evaporate dew etc. This may shatter the lens.

My own scope has a Fluorite element, although its an oiled triplet design, with the fluorite nicely protected and effectively 'sandwiched' in the middle.

But i'm still very careful with it, and try not to get complacent or anything.

But its good practice to take great care with these expensive optics, the last thing we want to hear about is a big mishap and damaged optics.

Lots of silica gel sachets in the case around the optics and tube and focuser are a good plan going forward.

HTH, Rob 🙂

Hi 

bringing it inside in the case seems like a very good idea  as is silica gel 

I also have a Desiccant Cap that I use as well  

• Like 1

Very informative thread. I have now purchased a desiccant cap.👍

I've got to worry about fungus? WTF? Thanks guys! lol

>I've got to worry about fungus? WTF? Thanks guys! lol<

In this climate..........most definitely !! 😀

Bring it indoors uncapped and leave the dew to dissipate naturally.

If you take the case out and leave it open, that will get wet with dew also, so putting the scope in a wet case at the end of your session will only make matters worse.

Same with eyepiece cases. By all means take them outside and leave them open but when you bring it all back indoors open the case remove and uncsp all eyepieces and let the case and eps all dry naturally.

New Des Cap arrived and fitted.

Des Cap

• Like 2

Same as the one I have from FLO  👍

5 hours ago, philjay said:

Bring it indoors uncapped and leave the dew to dissipate naturally.

If you take the case out and leave it open, that will get wet with dew also, so putting the scope in a wet case at the end of your session will only make matters worse.

Same with eyepiece cases. By all means take them outside and leave them open but when you bring it all back indoors open the case remove and uncsp all eyepieces and let the case and eps all dry naturally.

If its a Fluorite element refractor scope and you do that, you will risk thermally shocking it with a big change in temperature.

With respect, this is not a good idea. 

I would urge caution. If its a non fluorite scope however, the risk is mitigated somewhat.

Regarding the case, yes, once the scope is out of there and mounted, close and lockup the case.

It only dews up on the outside of it then, but the inside will be nice and cold, and dry as its full of silica gel sachets.

Just ordered some silica gel bags   👍

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

>I've got to worry about fungus? WTF? Thanks guys! lol<

In this climate..........most definitely !! 😀

Most of my refractors are 80mm or under anyway (biggest is 102mm). I usually give them a decent airing after use if the session has been a damp one. I'm tempted to get a desiccant cap for the 102mm Altair. I actually have one for my SCT. IIRC they need desiccant refills though. The only place I know that sells these is FLO and I won't buy from them on principle. I don't think fungus is a problem on any of my fracs at the moment. It's going to give me nightmares though lol.  

I'll have to distract myself from the mold event horizon by watching Surfrajettes videos.

4 hours ago, Speed said:

Same as the one I have from FLO  👍

That’s the one. It had to be ’cause it matches the scope.

2 hours ago, Nightspore said:

The only place I know that sells these is FLO

Rother Valley Optics do a good one but unfortunately only in blue.

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:

Rother Valley Optics do a good one but unfortunately only in blue.

Blue's cool.