• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Decisions regarding the next step to take upgrading my equipment.

Diko

Hi there Diko here.

I have been studying your posts about beginners and equipment you and may have read my introduction post about replacing my existing equipment well time to make a decission.

I have a seventeen year old Jessop TA1100-102 reflecting telescope (Christmas present in perfect order) which came with three 1.25dia lenses, 6mm 12.5mm & 20mm plus a 3 x Barlow lens. This has given me much pleasure stargazing weather permitting. However looking at the multitude of telescope choice now avaliable I would like an equipment upgrade.

1/ I keep my Jessop reflector and upgrade the lenses to higher quality spec plus buy a pair Astronomical Binocoulars of 15 x 70 (size will need your recomendations please). Purchase a Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Camera (does this plug into a laptop)?

2/ Upgrade to a Catadioptric telescope (NexStar SE Series, Celestron NexStar Evolution or perhaps a  Dobsonian Telescope 200P plus a camera? This choice is more expensive but decissions have to be made.?

I have looked at secomd hand equipment from a reputable dealer (RVO) and perhaps this could be a wise choice. 

Your comments will be most welcome, Diko.

It will all depend on what you want to look at and whether you may want to add a camera??

General observation of the night sky.

I would need new telescope for Planets but thats going to be expensive.

Im getting around to thinking an upgrade of new lenses for the Jessop reflector and a decent pair of binocoulars for the time being.

If I go for the upgrade of my Jessop I wil need advice on lenses also the binocoulars too.

If you get a pair of astro binoculars you'll need a support of some kind - a monopod at the very least, preferably a tripod and mount.

The rig doesn't need to be as hefty as this, which is nevertheless readily transportable.

large.s_Panoptix.JPG.184282c0d600cd0cde7d65158ea36a0f.JPG

I can't say much about the telescope.as mine is only slightly larger than yours. Sone sort of motorised mount would be helpful. On the bins, I would say an almost essential part of an astronomer's kit. 15x70 is a good size but difficult for most people to hand-hold. 12x60 might be better for most people. Here's a list of suitable targets for 12x60 "bins":

Moon

Phases of Venus, exceptionally Mercury

Jupiter's moons

Saturn having "handles" 

Sunspots (WITH SUITABLE FILTERS!!!)

Bright star clusters: Pleaides (M45), Melotte 20, Melotte 111, M35,  M13, M22, M11, M44, M4, M92

Double stars: Mizar/Alcor, Albireo, Epsilon Lyrae (but doesn't split into 4), Nu Draconi

Orion Great Nebula (M42)

Andromeda Galaxy (M31)