• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Perhaps a 8” Dobsonian?

Diko

After reading your comments and corresponding with RVO about the best way forward obtaining a suitable telescope I realised that the larger the aperture the better. All the Go To telescopes are more expensive and downloading SkyView Lite I can find the position of star and planets easily all I have to do is use my red dot, weather permitting. 
I have looked at the Celestron StarSence Explorer 8” Dobsonian but being so large would I have trouble with Collimation? StarSense included too which looks simple enough.

Hi have you thought about a Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 AZ GTi   just a thought    

Yes but this would need a power tank and or 240v power transformer. The tripod has some criticism about being wobbly in a breeze. With the Dobson I would have 8” aperture so lots of light but I would have to upgrade my old iPhone 5se as it’s not suitable but £100 will solve that.

I am most impressed with the YouTube coverage of this telescope plus I have a garage/workshop to store in. My local park is just 400yds as my dark site too.

If you want to move on to photography then the SW127 or a Newtonian would be the answer..

Ron

31 minutes ago, RonC said:

If you want to move on to photography then the SW127 or a Newtonian would be the answer..

Ron

Thanks but photography is for later. The SW 127 GTi is still on my list trouble is there’s too much to choose from when you get looking. I have so far purchased the Celestron Astro master eyepiece and filter kit plus Helios 10 x 50 binoculars to make a start.

I have a basic  200mm dobsonian you are welcome to have a try of.  Collimation is a bit fiddly, but not too difficult and any newt will need it what ever the size.