• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sun bothering for beginners

Hi all. I'm making a big of a leap of faith, but assuming that there will be some sunny skies I'd like to do a bit of solar observing. I have 2 scopes to choose from. The Meade 6" Mak at F12 and the WO GT81 at F6. I'm intending on making a solar filter for one of them, as well as my 8x50 finder. So......

Is the GT81 the better option?

Is a solar filter all I need for the scope and my eyeballs to be protected?

Does the EP focal length affect how well my eyes are protected?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before pointing my scope at the sun?

Edited by Stu

I would say refractor all the way. But then, i'm a refractor guy.

I use a Herschel Wedge : others will better advise on solar filters.

Lots to choose from. Whatever option you try, take great care .

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/page/1/

The 6" Mak is a bit big for solar work and you could argue it would need an ERF (energy rejection filter)

@Bino-viewer Is a Herschel wedge instead of a filter? So the lens glass doesn't need protection, it's where it's being focused that's the danger area?

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Bino-viewer Is a Herschel wedge instead of a filter? So the lens glass doesn't need protection, it's where it's being focused that's the danger area?

The HW should come with the required ND filters

No filtration at the front end.

I also use a continuum filter in the HW

I would also go with the frac. I started with a solar filter and it got me hooked. If you can afford it I’d go for a solar wedge. Safer and easier to use. It just replaces your diagonal.  Solar observing gives another use for your gear. And as Rob said to me ‘it’s warmer’. 

Thank you all 👍 Frac it is then. Going to get some film and 3D print a holder so I get a nice secure fit on the scope. Maybe a wedge one day, I'll have to see if the amount of observing I do justifies the cost. 

• Like 2