• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

which Canon dslr

red dwalf

ok guys and gals, i may soon be in the market for a Canon DSLR camera, trouble is i`m not sure which model, i was struck on the 1100d as it has the newer DIGIC 4 processor, but as always i`ve now come along a web site that says the 450d is better for astronomy imaging even though it has the older DIGIC 3 processor.

or should i go for the 600d which has the DIGIC 5 processor ? i`m very confussed aas there`s too many on the market.

total budget would be around the £500 max, so thats the reason for going for the Canon as i can`t really afford the cost of a new ATIK 314+ CCD mores the pity.

so i would like all of you with the knowledge about cameras, DSLR and CCD`s to put your 2 penith in please and advise me with the best options for the money.

Pros and cons of both please.

I personally would cut my teeth learning on the 1100D if it's something you really like, sell up and buy the 600D.

If its in good nick you won't lose alot of money.

The big difference between the 1000d and 450d is the 450d is 14bit (more colour variations) and the 1000d is 12bit.

The higher the megapixel count the smaller the pixel size, until you go Pro series which are full frame.

Suspect the 1100d is also 12bit.

right, i didn`t realise that the bit sizes where different, is the re alot of differance between 12 bit and 14 bit ? i know ideally it should be 16 as with most ccd cameras

I'll let you decide - http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/14-bit-raw-12-bit-part-two.html

I seem to remember reading somewhere (help someone!) that each part of the histogram has so many bits of data, something like this -

Black - 0 to 128, 128 to 256, 256 to 512, 512 to 1024, 1024 to 2048, until we get to White - the more bits we have the more colours we can represent.

As you can see the black end has less values than those towards the white end of the scale.

I believe dedicated astro CCD's assign more importance and more values to the black end of the scale.

Do some googling...

Guest NadeemShah

You be surprised, the 1100D is very good for Spectroscopy, I was told this when having a chat with a professor from Jodrell Bank Observatory as he bought my older 1100D. The Red & Blue channels are very good.

Tell you the truth, You don't even have to mod the 1100D for astro use as it is already quite sensitive in the red channel from stock.

Someone telling you the 450D is better then 1100D, I don't believe him. I have had both, the noise levels on the Digic 4 Processors which the 600D is btw are a lot cleaner then their predecessors.

My advice is - look around the forums to see what other people are using then decide which suits your budget.

I suspect it will be down to 450d, 1000d & 1100d

been doing alot of the on and off for a while, did narrow it down to the 450d and the 1100d, also see thats there`s a Canon outlet on e bay which offers as new cameras with 1 years warranty

thanks for the links guys, will proberly go for the 1100d, not bad on the price front and the better digic 4 processor, not 100% sure to mod it, might wait a while for that but a nice astronomik cls clip filter loks a must

Hi I have a self modded cannon 10D and its not bad at all ,the tech stuff blows my mind but it does the job for me and cost around 100 quid of e bay with a stock lense batts charger ect,no live view but not a big deal a cable to the laptop downloads loads it to the screen in seconds

I also have a 600D which is all so a good camera but my other half will not let me mod it it takes great images when stuck on both my scopes with a good lp filter

Wth the 10D I have had some good images its not the best but it works for me

http://www.astronomi...o.uk/eosmod.htm

They not bad and a no a few peeps who have had cams of him

Pat

I find that live view is over rated and I never use it.

found that using the APT software can get rid of that problem, anyone use this software at all,

also a canon 500d is for sale on stargazers lounge, is that model slightly better than the 1100d ?