• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

TSE 2024 - A Diamond Ring

Magellan Boy

That is a great image. Looking forward to the others.

• Thanks 1

Wow Mike, thats a spectacular one.

Was the weather kind to you for the event ?

• Thanks 1

You lucky sausage! It must've been amazing. Cracking image!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Wow Mike, thats a spectacular one.

Was the weather kind to you for the event ?

Thanks Rob. We were so very lucky with the weather. It was broken cloud up to just past first contact, then the skies cleared for the duration of the eclipse! Afterwards it got cloudier and it was chucking it down by the evening!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Magellan Boy said:

Thanks Rob. We were so very lucky with the weather. It was broken cloud up to just past first contact, then the skies cleared for the duration of the eclipse! Afterwards it got cloudier and it was chucking it down by the evening!

I read that due to the temperature drop during an eclipse cumulus clouds start to dissipate and don't reform until the ground has heated up again. I think it said it starts to happen once 15% of the sun is covered.

36 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

I read that due to the temperature drop during an eclipse cumulus clouds start to dissipate and don't reform until the ground has heated up again. I think it said it starts to happen once 15% of the sun is covered.

That may well be what happened Dave, although there was also quite a bit of high cloud that went away as well. We were all anxious the day leading up to the eclipse as the forecast for Texas was not good!

1 hour ago, Magellan Boy said:

That may well be what happened Dave, although there was also quite a bit of high cloud that went away as well. We were all anxious the day leading up to the eclipse as the forecast for Texas was not good!

I'm just glad it was good for you. I'm looking forward to your talk about it later in the year.

• Thanks 1

On 21/04/2024 at 17:23, Magellan Boy said:

A diamond ring marks the end of the total solar eclipse on the 8th April this year. I captured this from Valley Mills, Texas using a tripod mounted Canon EOS 50D camera and 400 mm Tamron lens. The solar corona and a prominence in the 3 o'clock position are still visible just before the sun emerges.  Will be posting totality and partial phases in due course...

embed?resid=4F7B28D3F679F72A!244798&auth

Great shot! Well done.

• Thanks 1

@Nightspore  ..and continuing the musical theme...later in the trip...I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona...

embed?resid=4F7B28D3F679F72A!244854&auth

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nightspore said:

That's some crazy diamond ...

Shine on!

Or is it The Dark Side of the Moon?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Magellan Boy said:

@Nightspore  ..and continuing the musical theme...later in the trip...I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona...

embed?resid=4F7B28D3F679F72A!244854&auth

2 hours ago, Clive said:

Or is it The Dark Side of the Moon?

I'd go for Cirrus Minor ...

8 minutes ago, Nightspore said:

I'd go for Cirrus Minor ...

I'd Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun

Astronomy Domine!