• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mount Maintenance

Stu

Hi folks. I've had my AZ-EQ5 for a couple of years now. Although usage has been relatively light for that amount of time, is there anything I should be doing periodically to keep it in good working order? 

I tend to check my mounts and tripods over fairly regularly, but I don't do any maintenance unless there is a specific problem.

Stuff can go wrong if you don't keep an eye on things ...

m5xfT86l.jpg

I found out the hard way!

JJHujRnl.jpg

I fixed everything though.

7eRg16pl.jpg

@Nightspore It stands in the conservatory most of the time. All I really do is check for rust and maybe tweak the bolts on the leg hinges. I was wondering if there's anything that needs cleaning or lubricating every so often. 

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Nightspore It stands in the conservatory most of the time. All I really do is check for rust and maybe tweak the bolts on the leg hinges. I was wondering if there's anything that needs cleaning or lubricating every so often. 

I've often wondered about if anything needed greasing or lubricating, but I suppose it can depend on its age and condition. I do have to adjust the tension on the Porta II slo mo's occasionally. They can loosen with use. 

Z6nEfDU.jpg

Hence why I keep Allen keys and a Synta screwdriver in the mount maintenance bay.

Modern SW mounts tend to have better grease than the older versions which were assembled with a grease which tended to solidify with ages thus getting stiffer and sonetimes seizing completely. This required a complete strip and regrease. But apart from a check over for functionality modern mounts dont really need much.

Cool. I might take a look inside anyway, just to see how it all works. I thought it was playing up but rebalancing the scope seems to have sorted the iffy guiding. 

Possible origin of older Synta grease used on focusers and mounts:

• Haha 1