• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi

Guest Madatter

Guest Madatter

Hello everybody, I'm Steve from Sutton in Ashfield. I had a small scope many years ago when I was a teenager, my wife still cant wait to tell everybody about her freezing outside while I watching the stars instead off her. I bought a scope again about 7 years ago at the time it was what I thought was a good buy, a Skywatcher 130m.

Needless to say it didn't work out as well as I had hoped, I spent months trying to find things to view but i couldn't even get it do anything, so it ended up in the loft where its been for the last 6 years.

Ive been Ive been off work for a few weeks and I stumbled onto a couple off forums so I got the scope out off the loft, Ive read everything I could find, I took the scope outside and still couldn't find anything that wasn't in eye sight.

I was just about to put it back in the loft when I saw a article on diy upgrading the scope. I stripped it down cleaned the mirrors, cleaned and re-greased the focuser and set the telescope up to the letter in the living room, it was then I noticed the factory set DEC was wrong, it was about 8 deg out. I took it off removed the fixing screws took it outside pointed the finder at Polaris and set the DEC to 90, well guess what, I can now use the setting circles, and it tracks the sky perfectly, this week before it started raining Ive seen M31 and the Owl Cluster, thats a 200% increase on the last 7 years.

I tried to get some photographs with my canon 40d but couldn't get it to focus, I bought myself a Laser Collimator and today while its been raining Ive moved the primary forward 1" collimated both mirrors and I can now get focus, I just need some clear sky now to try it out.

wow steve, you are a better man than me (so to speak) couldn't take anything to bits, i rely on the blokes here for that. A very helpful bunch and loads of knowledge here.

Welcome to EMS

Sheila

Hi Steve, welcome to EMS.

Congratulations on getting your scope sorted, shame it took 7 years but at least you got there in the end. ;)

There is still plenty if mods you can do to your scope, that could make life even easier, perhaps a red dot finder, like a Telrad for example.

Keep at it, and if you have any questions, just fire away.

Hi Steve, a warm welcome to EMS.

It's a great feeling when it suddenly all comes together. If you have seen the owl cluster and M31, then there's a whole load of stuff up there to keep you busy for a while yet.

We have two dark sites as already mentioned, you would be very welcome to come over and join us. The first visit is free, yhen a reasonable twenty pounds a year subscription.

If you don't already have it, then download Stellarium, it's free and very good.

www.stellarium.org

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away, someone will be along to help.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum