• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flocking my scope

Guest flames UK

Guest flames UK

Hi guys , got a bit of free time today and thinking about making some improvements on my skyliner 200p . I would like to improve contrast

Does fully flocking a scope make alot of difference if it's used with a dew shield or would part flock be good enough for the benefits ? I have read that a neoprene dew shield can make a good difference but wondering whether I need to fully flock if ones in use ? Any advice would be great guys

Hi,

I have same scope. It's a 100% yes from me that fully flocking the entire OTA improves the views.

I know it is a scary concept unbolting everything removing primary and secondary mirrors & spider and finder scope & mount until you're left with just the basic metal tube. Trust me it is well worth it.

I am not the most handy person when it comes to DIY so I photographed everything in stages as before and after I unscrewed anything. Then I took a load of bowls and tore up an a4 sheet of paper and for every nut or bolt (or both) I put them into separate bowls and took a piece of the a4 paper and wrote down what it was for; e.g. "Finder scope mount bolt" and put the bolt with the piece of paper noting where it was from/what it's for into its own bowl. I did this for the entirety of the nuts&bolts.

It is not a quick job but I fully recommend it.

I used black velour from wilko's £5 a roll. I ended up having to buy 4 rolls as first time around I got a bit eager on the last section and there was a massive crease so it had to come out and be done again. Also don't forget to flock the focuser tube :)

Then just bolt it all back together. It will of course the need recollimating. Brantuk (Kim) really helped me out on that front as when I flocked my scope I had no collimator of any description. I have since picked up a self centering laser collimator by Hotech-highly recommended buy in my opinion.

That is what Kim used to recollimate my scope. This had the added bonus of teaching me how to do it myself once I bought my own Hotech.

Kim is an absolute legend and has helped me no end on my beginnings into this great hobby. I only started dec 2011 (boxing day!) my wife bought me my celestron 15x70's and I was hooked :)

Good luck, go for it. It will teach you a lot about your scope. One major thing I should mention protect your primary mirror and do not touch it! The 200P primary mirror fits nicely into celebrations (the chocolates) large family size circular container. Same goes for your secondary protect that too and don't touch the mirrors surface.

If anyone on here lives near you and has flocked their scope I'm sure they'd be happy to lend a hand if they're free.

So to summarise: flock the whole damn thing ;)

Edited by catman161

Flocking does make a worthwhile difference but make sure you use the correct material protostar as I recall. You don't want something that sheds its pile.

Also blacken the rear of the secondary and any shiny surfaces or screw points using international paints blackboard paint. It's like looking up a chimney afterwards :)

Just adding my own opinion about the material (and I think there's quite a lot of support for it in a previous thread) the black velour from wilko's is a great material which doesn't shed its pile. Is certainly cheaper than protostar.

I am not having a go at Teslar (so hard to convey meaning in written text) I'm just saying there are alternative, effective materials out there for flocking which do as good a job as protostar.

Edited by catman161

Guest flames UK

Cheers fellas , I've had a delivery of 2 rolls from flo - black velour stuff - think I'm gonna bite the bullet and go for it !! I've seen some videos on the net saying dew shields also help with contrast if they are long enough , does anybody use em ? I live in suburbs so it's just to help with street lighting really - dew doesn't seem to be an issue . Right - I'm gonna man up and do it , I have a collimating eyepiece so hope to be ok 😄cheers guys

Yeah go for it!!

Yeah I also use dew shield.

Made my own from a camping mat and heavy duty self adhesive Velcro from hobby craft! Definitely helps with stray light in my opinion.

Hello. I've just flocked my OTA. I got the material from First light optics. It's a bit more pricey than the Wilcos stuff at £7 per role but it is very good. I've not had a chance to really see any difference yet myself but everyone says its much better. Also http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=805

This link is a guide for (I think) your scope. Hope this helps.

Also I forgot who gave me the advice, but spray a light mist of water into the OTA before applying as it allows the flock material to slide a bit if you make a mistake. Just take your time and bear in mind that doing this will enduce sudden offset of Tourette's.

Good luck.

I've made a dew shield from black 'funky foam sheets' it self holds itself in place, even in the wind - which impressed me. It cost a grand total of £1.50 and a bit of tape.

Hello. I've just flocked my OTA. I got the material from First light optics. It's a bit more pricey than the Wilcos stuff at £7 per role but it is very good.

It's exactly the same stuff from Wilkos, they just like to make a bit of £££ from it

Guest flames UK

Well top part done guys , no major swearing yet ! Good advice on the choc tin felix , perfect mirror shield ! Quick cuppa before flocking part 2

Well top part done guys , no major swearing yet ! Good advice on the choc tin felix , perfect mirror shield ! Quick cuppa before flocking part 2

Glad it's going well. Kudos go to Stephen (kheldar) on the choc box mirror protector-not my idea that one is all his :) well at least that is where I saw it first, when he took apart his 200PDS I think it was??

if you want a dew shield, the three quid exercise mats from Decathalon do the trick, black one side, silver the other.

Again get the proper Velcro, it has 3M adhesive on it, and sticks like - well glue. Cheap stuff comes apart when it gets cold, as peeling forces sort out which adhesive is best.

I only live up the road so if you want I'll pick one up for you and get to bump into at the next meet.

PM me and let me know!

Baz.

Guest flames UK

Haha , Coolio scope fully flocked + focuser . Wasn't too bad and couldn't believe it - only needed a quick turn on the spider for collumation !! Pleased with it .... Thank god it's over though , could Of done with mr tickle to get his arms in lol . Dew shield next time I got a bit o free time !!! 😄