• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Skywatcher Skyliner 150P - £135

Craig

Guest Bryn g

Hi Craig,

Would you recommend it for a first telescope

I'm looking at buying one but not sure what to go for. I'm just down the road in Spondon

Bryn

I'd definately recommend it as a first scope, however if you have more funds, get something better :) We should be having a meeting on Saturday at our dark site but it's not confirmed, you will see it in announcements if it's official and you could come along and look at other peoples scopes.

It all depends what you want and what your budget is. Scopes are as different as cars. The above scope would be a good starter scope for someone who wants to do primarily observing. Being a "Newtonian" telescope on a "Dobsonian" base it is one of the better value for money models. It's also one of the quicker and easier to set up.

Conversely a refractor on an equatorial mount of that price will be very much more basic and will have a lot less range due to it's considerably smaller aperture. For around four or five times the price though you can get a very tidy short tube wide field refractor on a capable equatorial mount that will be great for elementary imaging. I've probably lost you already lol.

There's a lot to consider and learn before rushing out to get your first scope so my advice would be to attend a few meetings first - ask lots of questions there (and here in the forum) - get a good look through the different types of scope available - and get to know what "sort" of scope you aspire to.

The scope above is a good one as I say - but could be a waste of time and money if it doesn't do what you want it too. :)

The scope above is a good one as I say - but could be a waste of time and money if it doesn't do what you want it too. :)

I learned this the hard way. :unsure:

I'm realising the same with mine, excellent value, easy to use, good views, but I do like the tracking. Perhaps i'm just lazy, or not skilled enough yet. (I am only a beginner)

But this type of scope bought second hand, should hold it's value for a good while, whilst you learn what's what and have a go.

I've already found mine/ours incredibly valuable for getting my head around stuff. :-)

I think Kim (Brantuk) has hit the nail on the head. What scope you decide to go for all depends on the following......

What do you want to observe, planets, Dso (Deep space objects) or both?

How much have you got to spend?

Do you want it portable?

Do you want to do astrophotography?

Do you want the scope to find objects or do you want to do it yourself?

Having the answers to the above will help narrow down the choices for you.

Had I have had the choice I would have got a 200P personally, but my scope was a wedding present. It is excellent value I think at just £150, the optics are pretty good and its easy to set up and use, however the German equatorial mount is (in my engineering experience) quite poorly designed and constructed. So unless you have access to CNC machinery or someone with the know how to mod it so it actually works, I would steer clear and go for the 200P.

Guest Bryn g

I'm gonna take your advice and come along to belper tomorrow night and have a look at what everybody's using.

I want to look at planets and deep space objects, my budget is around £150. Just looking for something to get me started

If that's your only criteria Bryn then go for it - it's a good price though you might be able to negotiate down a bit depending on age/condition - and if you want to change it in a few months it's the kinda scope that will get you most of your money back when selling/trading up. :)

(I just sold an equivalent 200P dob for £200 as a reference)

Bryn, if you could squeeze a little bit more out of your pockets a 200P would be so much better! That extra 50mm of primary mirror size will make a difference.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the 150, really good starter scope, but soon I think appature fever will kick in and you will want something bigger, I do every time I look through somebody's 300P!!!!!

I don't know who is worse, us "mirror boys" or you "lens types" ;)

Where do SCT users fall in this debate? :lol:

LOL Caz - no - the "proper" on my name is a bit of a laugh cos I'm known as more of a "social" astronomer than a real one hahaha! :)

Lol, I still look at 'Pretty things' ;-)

I love that quote, who originaly said it about their wife?

Guest Bryn g

Heads up... For sale out of Sandiacre, if anybody was after a small Dob.

If you're still selling it Craig, I'll take it of your hands. I think it will be a good starter scope for me