• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nottingham Astronomical Society

dawson

I was thinking of going to the meeting of this group tonight. Do any others off here go?

James

Unfortunately it's always been too inconvenient for me, being the other side of Nottingham, :(

If these are the guys who are based out on the A52 near Keyworth, with their obsy in Cotgrave, then I have been twice. They seemed a friendly bunch, took some finding the first time as they have their meeting in the middle of the geological building, it's massive!

Happy to chat, let me take some mags to have a look through, we had a quiz and a talk on astro related stuff.

That was about this time last year, never been back since, EMS is better!

Do EMS have sit down meetings, or just star-gazing events?

The meeting tonight is just quite near me so it's very easy to get to.

James

We have sit down meetings with a few of our members doing some talks, they are held every three months at the cricket club in Belper.

If it is a clear night, the meetings are normally outside to make full use of the rare chance that we are together under clear skies.

I've not been, but if it's easy to get to for you and as Daz says they're a friendly bunch I'd mosy on over and say hi, have a chat with some like minded people :)

They are a very friendly and helpful group. They have good talks, with notable speakers, and I think you will enjoy the evening.

They are at the British Geological Survey in Keyworth, Follow the sign off the A52, but go to the end of the road and turn left, you will see the gate house on your left.

Note, ask the security guard on the gate where they are, it will save you time.

Go and say hello.

I have been to Lincoln as and Cleethorpes as meetings and find the really interesting if you get a good speaker, I say give it a go ;)

It was really good.

Mike Merrifield talked about the centre of our Galaxy. It was fascinating. There were lots of things talked about which I hadn't known about before, and some things which I'd never understood but which were better explained. Some of the physics and some of the questions were beyond me, but overall it was excellent.

I'm glad I went.

James

Glad you had a good time James - they are indeed a good group and friendly bunch too. I went to one of their open days last year and they had several well known speakers, lots of info, and several scopes on display through the afternoon and evening for the public to look through. I was very impressed by them too :)