• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hubby buying me a Dob

Guest MrsR

Hey guys its been a while but in back and hubby is buying me a Dob next month - either 200 or 250 depends whether brand new or second hand.

Hi Nikki, great to hear from you again.

That's fantastic news, just at the right time of year too. If you can handle the 250, go for that, it will give you just that bit more light grasp for the faint fuzzies. It will be superb come spring for the galaxy clusters.

All of us round yours then at weekends? ;)

Only joking!

Go for the 250 if you can, will make objects that bit clearer than a 200.

Good to hear from you again Nikki :)

I second the idea of a ten inch if possible - it'll be that bit more contrasty and you'll pick up some deeper objects with it too.

We are ideally looking for a farm so if we do find something out in the middle of nowhere then defiantly do a regular night over mine. Will know what property we are going for late Nov/Dec.

Welcome back (I guess?) to EMS Nikki. I don't think we have met but good luck with house move (always very stressful events). Glad you're escaping to the country the skies will be so awesome for you out there :)

• 2 weeks later...

How exciting, I got my Dob from preloved, it was only £140 compared to £220 for a brand new one. There's not much that can go wrong with a dob, as long as it's been looked after. :-)

And you can do load of mods to them! I just fitted my lazy Susan bearing and am gonna fit a moveable setting circle and digital angle gauge and spirit levels.

Have fitted adjustable levelling feet already. When I'm done will be able to use the setting circle and angle gauge to read the coordinates of celestial objects and point to them with (hopefully) relative ease. Will get the object coordinates from iPhone (covered in red acetate) app for each object :)