• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dob on Ebay...

Craig

I was soooo tempted by that since looking through those big dobs at Kelling. I'm sure I'll get something similar at some stage but having to "not look at it" for now lol :)

What a beaut! Don't think I'd ever get aperture fever again if I owned that scope! Imagine the fuzzies in that scope not so faint I don't think :)

I tell you Felix - andromeda in a 20" overfilled my 35mm Panoptic - I was looking at some considerable detail in the core - awesome :)

Great idea Eddy - but we have discussed this before and it would be a question of logistics. E.g. who stores it when not in use, how long it can be out on loan to a member, how it's passed around, who gets to use it (eg newbies or more experienced?) who supervises. who is responsible if it gets damaged, how would it be insured, and a plethora of other things that need to be considered before we do something like this.

Nice idea in principal though :)

Hmm I didn't think much about damage etc, I was just thinking someone might volunteer to store it then it could be taken to dark sites/star parties and used by whoever wants to.

Good point - again - if you've chipped in for it you (or anyone) may feel justifiably that they have a right to take it home for a bit for exclusive use. Or they may volunteer to store it so they can use it at the same time. If you can get every member to think the same way and come to a communal agreement that everyone signed up to (and stuck to) you'd have my blessing for sure. lol :)

I tell you Felix - andromeda in a 20" overfilled my 35mm Panoptic - I was looking at some considerable detail in the core - awesome :)

Man I want to see that! That's a memory that will be with you forever I bet?!

On Eddy's point it's a lovely Idea, but when we don't have our own secure club premises I am with you Kim, it's a political minefield ;)

Edited by catman161

@Eddy - In the end we decided the logistics would be too horrendous and immpossible to be practical. What if we had a meet but the person storing it was away on holiday and took it with them? lol

@Felix- Oh it's a memory I intend to repeat Felix - with my own big scope eventually :)

I bet there are much better scopes for EMS than that, stuff that's portable and easy to setup. A nice GOTO Dob? :P