• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eye piece/focus help

T A WOW

Hello everyone.

A few nights ago i was looking at Jupiter in my scope, and when i go past anything higher than 100x magnification all I get is an out of round blury blob in my eyepiece. I'm curious if anyone knows what is the most likely cause. No matter what i try i can't focus it for a crisp image. The eyepieces are from the celestron eyepiece and filter kit. Not sure if its just these that aren't any good or if its my focuser or my whole set up. (unfortunately no one makes upgrades for my scope that I can find)

I've been looking at some celestron x-cel lx eyepieces and wonder if they may be a good purchace as they have good reviews so I'd keep them for use in any future scope I get.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would say it could be the seeing conditions, looking through the atmosphere low down, you have reached the maximum magnification of your scope, inferior eyepieces, dew, I think thats it.

Hi. It was about 2am when I was looking at Jupiter, so I guess it was quite high. And I'd only just put out my scope so it wasn't dewed (spelling) out. I guess it's probably the eyepieces then. I've read some poor reviews on that kit. Might get me some better ones then.

Thanks all

Because they need to be the same temperature as the air you are looking through otherwise you get thermals and this creates distortion and will make the views nasty, with a 130 you probably want about 30 minutes or so for it to cool down nicely, I may be wrong be someone else can step if so.

Eddy is right they need to be the same temperature thats why some people store their scopes in sheds etc so it's colder then inside the house. When I had my 16" dob it needed a good 2 hours to cool down.

I never cooled my scope down, I just dumped it out and started using it. The views were always worse early on, improving greatly as the scope cooled.

Don't forget that with a high magnification eyepiece you are essentially magnifying all of the distortions too, including air turbulence and thermals.

Sounds like I should keep it in the fridge over winter then. Not sure the wife would be too happy with that though. Lol

Depending on the scope type and size - just take it outside and start setting up - there's no need to rush this - cos it'll be cooling down as you go. Take time and get a good polar alignment. If it's a cold night - set up and have a coffee or tea to warm up before starting to view. You could even watch that last half of your favourite soap lol.

Expect initial views to be "not so brilliant" - have a stab around the sky and pick some objects you'd like to revisit later. You'll soon know when the scopes ready cos sufficient time will have passed and the views will be getting better. You could even use cool down time to consult your charts or stellarium and compile a plan for the session. :)

(I don't do any of this lol)

Guest Tweedledum

Best idea is too keep them in a pocket until use . Sometimes difficult with the size of some ep's!!

Edited by Tweedledum

Guest flames UK

on the subject of celestron x-cel ep , i have one and its awsome - i couldnt afford all the sizes i wanted so got the hyperion zoom [which is pretty good] although the baader is nowhere near as crisp as the x-cel 25mm .

when i first started using my scope i was pretty happy , but on inserting the x-cel it blew me away , was like HD !!!!!

Looks like I shall have to invest in a few of them then. See if I can stretch a bit more performance from my baby scope.