• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

hello

Guest mickymoo

Guest mickymoo

Hi there, my names Mick. I used to live over in the East Midlands but now reside in the East Riding of Yorkshire - (Hull) .

I don't have any stargazing equipment except for an old pair of binoculours, but i do have an interest in astronomy.

Just wanted to say this looks a great site and hello

atb

Moo

Hi Mick,

Welcome to EMS :)

Forum will be a little quiet this weekend as most dark site members are at our first ever star party EMS1 in anderby, Skegness.

I was all booked up to go but Unfortunately I herniated a disc in my lower back quite a while ago now and it is still giving me problems. So I am not able to stargaze comfortably at present.

Binos are a great start. A good star atlas is also useful. I recommend getting sky & telescope pocket sky atlas. Also if you haven't already, download stellarium which is a free and brilliant planetarium software for your pc/laptop. If you get your latitude and longitude coordinates off google maps for your garden/where you normally look at the stars from and input them into stellarium it will show you in real time what constellations/planets you will see when you step outside :)

Any questions just post them in the beginners section and we will try and answer as best we can.

There's a wealth of experienced astronomers on here (I'm not one of them by the way!) who are all really friendly and ready to help/give advice.

Felix

Hi Mick and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Thanks for your nice compliment on our forum - Felix said it all really - any questions just pop a thread up in the beginners section and someone will be along with an answer soon. It's a tad quiet this weekend though as most are away star partying.

A pair of 10x50 binocs and a planisphere is all all you need to get going - FMC porro prisms (fully multi coated) would be best - and Stellarium is a great pc tool that's totally free to download. Enjoy the forum :)

Hi Mick, welcome to EMS.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Regards,

Daz - currently at EMS1, where it has started raining. :(

Hi Mick, a warm welcome to the forum.

A pair of binoculars is a great start, and will show you some great objects, as mentioned get a good atlas, (another vote for the pocket atlas), and check where stuff is going to be with Stellarium.

Even when you get a scope, the bins are great for finding targets with the scope.

If you plan on buying a scope, maybe run it by folks on here to get an unbiased opinion of whether it's what would suit your needs.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Guest mickymoo

Cheers for all your replies fellas. I've downloaded Stellarium just now which looks great . Was wondering how to change Home location (edit: got it, good old F6 :) )

Also special thanks to Todd8317 for showing me the first views through a proper scope and for heads up to this site , see ya soon

Thanks again

atb

Mick

Edited by mickymoo